Search Committee Formed for Executive Vice President/Provost
A 14-member search committee has been appointed by President George E. Ross to assist in the search for Central Michigan University's next executive vice president/provost.
The committee will be co-chaired by Salma Ghanem, dean of the College of Communication and Fine Arts, and Tim Hartshorne, a psychology department faculty member.
The search committee will be assisted by a national executive search firm, which will be selected through a competitive bidding process and on-campus interviews later this month.
The search committee is charged with posting the executive vice president/provost job opening and description prior to the December holiday break. Other responsibilities include assessing all applications, conducting confidential interviews with the most likely candidates, and then developing a list of finalists who will be invited to campus for interviews and open forums.
The executive vice president/provost leads the university’s academic division, including the seven academic colleges, the College of Graduate Studies, Global Campus, research and sponsored programs, libraries, institutional diversity, international education, academic administration, academic affairs, information technology, and student publications.
Executive vice president/provost E. Gary Shapiro announced in September that he would leave the position at the end of the current academic year to return to the classroom. Shapiro has served in a variety of positions since joining CMU in 1978.
In addition to Ghanem and Hartshorne, other committee members include:
- Cali Clark, director of employment services, Human Resources
- Ian Davison, dean, College of Science and Technology
- Maureen Eke, faculty, English language and literature
- Donna Erickson, faculty, mathematics
- Pam Gates, dean, College of Humanities and Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Megan Goodwin, faculty and chairperson, human environmental studies
- Darby Gwisdala, professional and administrative, Provost’s Office
- Steven Johnson, vice president for Enrollment and Student Services
- Randi L’Hommedieu, faculty and chairperson, School of Music
- Jim Scott, faculty, business information systems
- Andrea Thompson, student
- Herm Triezenberg, faculty and director, physical therapy