The Master of Science Degree in Apparel Product Development and Merchandising Technology is housed in the Department of Human Environmental Studies (HEV). The program's mission is to prepare graduates for executive level positions in apparel and textile product design and development, CAD technology, industry research and development, as well as for careers in higher education and government. Creative solutions, real world applications and leading edge technology will be emphasized at all instructional levels.
- 1. Provide graduate students with advanced coursework emphasizing leading edge technology and innovation in apparel design and merchandising
- 2. Provide graduates students with the opportunity to conduct research related to product design and development
- 3. Prepare graduates to use a variety of creative approaches to problem solving
- 4. Prepare graduates on how to:
a. assess consumer needs
b. develop product specifications
c. analyze garment fit
d. evaluate apparel product solutions
- 5. Prepare graduates on how to develop, promote, and publish materials for a variety of audiences
- 6. Prepare graduates with advanced expertise in apparel design and merchandising through an industry internship (Internship Option students only)
Department of Human Environmental Studies
HEV departmental programs use the human ecosystem as a frame of reference which provides a conceptual perspective on the interplay of the human behavioral, constructed, and natural environments. Our programs are designed to contribute to individual and family well-being across the lifespan by focusing on the functional, aesthetic, psychosocial, nutritional, and economic aspects of the human ecosystem.