- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree with at least 12 semester hours in apparel merchandising and design or a closely related area; equivalent work experience may be considered in place of 12 semester hours
- Submission of the CMU application form for admission to the Graduate School, found at http://www.grad.cmich.edu/forms.htm
- Three letters of recommendation, including two from faculty. If it is not possible to obtain faculty references, references should be from professionals who can address your capacity to succeed as a graduate student.
- Official transcripts sent directly from each university attended other than CMU
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale in the last 60 hours of undergraduate course work
- A 2-4 page, typed, double-spaced essay that (Part I) describes how previous experiences and training have prepared and led the applicant to pursue a Master of Science degree in Apparel Product Development and Merchandising Technology (APDMT) and (Part II) identifies likely professional goals and how graduate training can help accomplish these goals. (This statement replaces item #26 on the application.)
- $35 ($45 for international students) non-refundable application fee.
for a Graduate Assistantship is optional. Applicants applying for a graduate
assistantship must complete and submit the Graduate Assistantship Application no later than March 15 for the upcoming academic
Conditional Admission: Per university policy, conditional admission may be considered for applicants with background or grade point average deficiencies. Undergraduate courses taken to make up admission deficiencies cannot be counted toward graduate degree requirements. Regular admission status should be requested upon completion of all deficiencies.
Applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis. However, early submission of application materials is strongly recommended. Once all of the application materials are received, please allow approximately six weeks for processing.
If you have any general questions about graduate studies at CMU you can contact the staff in the Office of Graduate Studies at:
College of Graduate Studies
Central Michigan University
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859