- Ph.D., Western Michigan University, 2003
- M.S.I.A., Purdue University, 1987
- B.S.E.E., General Motors Institute, 1984
American Statistical Association
Environmental Statistics and Spatial Statistics
External Grant Awards
- (2007) “Long-term Undergraduate Research Experience (LURE)”, National Science Foundation. PIs Ken Smith and Sivaram Narayan. Senior Investigators John Daniels, Mohan Shrikhande, Azita Manouchehri, James Angelos, Doug Lapp, Sid Graham, Katrina Piatek-Jimenez, and Dennis St. John. Amount: $595,501
- (2006) “Research Experience for Undergraduates”, National Science Foundation. PIs Ken Smith and Sivaram Narayan. Senior Investigators John Daniels and Sid Graham. Amount: $175,427
- (2004) “Statistical Analysis of Education Student Survey”, National Science Learning in Teacher Education Partnership. Amount: $1,600
Recent Publications and Presentations
- (2008) Daniels, J., “Where Have You Gone, Carl Yastrzemski? A Statistical Analysis of Baseball’s Batting Triple Crown”, Society for American Baseball Research (SABR).[accepted for publication in 2008 BRJ].
- (2008) with K. Wittkowski, T. Song, and K. Anderson “U-Scores for Multivariate Data in Sports”, Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports [published August 2008].
- (2008) Daniels, J., “ A Statistical Analysis of Baseball’s Batting Triple Crown; Past, Present, and Future.” Presented poster at the Society of American Baseball Research convention (SABR38) in Cleveland, OH June 26, 2008.
- (2007) with Lee, C., and Famoye, F ., “A Real-Time Web-Based System to Facilitate Meaningful Learning in Statistics’, Refereed Proceedings of ED-MEDIA 2007 – World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia Telecommunication , (June 25-29, 2007) [published June 2007].
- (2007) Daniels, J., “ The Bi-Modal Raisin”, Presented poster at the United States Conference on Teaching Statistics (USCOTS), Columbus, OH.
- (2006) with Zeleke, A., and Lee, C.., “ Developing Projects Based on Students’ Own Data in Introductory Statistics”. Refereed Proceedings of The International Conference on Teaching Statistics (ICOTS7), Salvador, Brazil. [published July 2006].
- (2006) Daniels, J., “ An Objective Scoring Method for Graded Count Variables with Applications to Olympics, Baseball, and Medicine”. Presented at the Joint Meetings of the American Statistical Association in Seattle, WA.
- (2006) Daniels, J. and Lee, C., “Using real time data generated by students to teach statistics”. Presented at the Western Michigan University Department of Statistics Colloquium.