A student is classified in accordance with the semester hours of credit earned as follows:
- Freshman: 1-25 semester hours of credit
- Sophomore: 26-55 semester hours of credit
- Junior: 56-86 semester hours of credit
- Senior: 86 or more semester hours of credit
- Graduate: After admission to CMU School of Graduate Studies
Classification is determined by the current Bulletin, not the issue in effect when the student was addmitted.
The definition of full-time status for a regular semester is as follows:
- Undergraduate students: a minimum of 12 credits
- Graduate students: a minimum of 9 credits
Undergraduate Grading System
Honor Points Per Semester Hour
Not included in
*Designates Honors Credit in combination with letter grade of C or better.
**Please refer to the Graduate Bulletin for the marking system for graduate students.
Grade Point Average
The grade-point average for undergraduate students is found by dividing the total honor points earned by the total graded hours.
At the end of each on-campus semester or session, students may access their grades via CentralLink.
Point Deficiency - Undergraduate Students
A point deficiency is defined as the number of points lacking to make a cumulative grade point average of 2.00.