Midland Tomorrow is seeking an intern to help us with various communications tasks. This is a great opportunity to learn about internal and external marketing communications for a nonprofit while getting real-world experience in a professional setting and building your portfolio.
What Is Midland Tomorrow?
Midland Tomorrow is the private, nonprofit economic development organization serving the County of Midland, Michigan and all the municipalities in it. We work primarily with manufacturing and technology businesses to do two key things:
1) Help our local businesses, from startup companies and second-stage businesses to major corporations, expand their operations and create local jobs.
2) Research and attract new manufacturers that fit our local, existing industrial base.
Midland Tomorrow works closely with local companies, and we are recipients of confidential company information. The intern will be expected to maintain that confidentiality and to assume that any information about local businesses is confidential unless informed otherwise.
Marketing Communications for Midland Tomorrow
Marketing communications is a fast-paced field. The best fit for this position is someone who is flexible − able to handle changing project requirements, self-directed and able to prioritize projects. He or she should also be comfortable asking for assistance when needed and taking direction as well as articulating his/her thoughts and ideas. Midland Tomorrow wants fresh thinking and communication that connects with and inspires the audience.
What Will the Intern Do?
Intern duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work directly with the director of marketing to write messaging and/or design media that increases Midland Tomorrow’s brand awareness
- Create engaging, persuasive messaging for both Midland Tomorrow and external clients
- Write Midland Tomorrow’s communications and collateral
- Understand the target audience and what moves them to buy, click or call
- Use marketing analytics and research as a base for engaging, motivational copy
- Work directly with vendors
- Work directly with clients
- Update Midland Tomorrow’s social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter) as needed
- Update content on Midland Tomorrow’s website as directed
- Bring creative, fresh, engaging ideas to projects and tasks that enhance and promote Midland Tomorrow’s brand identity
- Strong writing skills – copywriting or journalism experience a plus
- Strong proofreading skills – excellent handle on correct grammar, punctuation, etc.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills – able to work with executive level clients, take complex, abstract and foreign concepts, understand them quickly, and write engaging, motivating messaging for a target audience
The intern will need to be comfortable working with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), as well as standard Internet and email applications. We use Atlas Content Management for our website – a dashboard-based tool. Candidates get extra points for experience with audio and video editing software, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop software, Picasa 3.
- Assist the marketing director with preparation and participation at tradeshows and public relations events as needed
- Assist with development of marketing analytics and research
- Various projects as needed
Hours and Pay
We anticipate up to 20 hours per week (flexible depending on our workflow) to run from January through December 2013 or longer. Interns will be classified as hourly employees and will be paid $7.40 per hour. Note that interns do not qualify for benefits.
Interested candidates are asked to email their cover letter, resume and portfolio to Amy Roten, marketing director at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Submissions will be received until the position(s) is filled.