Training and equipping new teachers is a vital part of Central Michigan University.
The Pre-Student Teaching program places education students in PK-12 classrooms
The Pre-Student Teaching experience is the second of three field components in the teacher education program. Each education student will be partnered with a PK-12 classroom teacher in local school for a ten week, thirty hour commitment.
Students commuting to the university will be allowed to complete their Pre-Student Teaching Field Experience in a school district close to their home.
Throughout the semester students will have opportunity for school and classroom field experiences during which they can:
- Observe classroom teachers.
- Gain experience in working with individual students and small groups of students.
- Experience planning, teaching and evaluation of activities.
- Develop an awareness of practices used by experienced classroom teachers concerning classroom management and the maintenance of a positive classroom learning environment.
- Experience some of the other aspects of teaching such as preparing bulletin boards, developing teaching materials, correcting papers, evaluating projects, and attending special functions.
- Develop an awareness of the total school environment.