This program of graduate-level courses will enable teachers and other professionals with a prior special education endorsement in Emotional Impairment or Cognitive Impairment to pursue a second endorsement - specifically in Learning Disabilities. Course work will focus mainly on developing knowledge and skills in assessment, academic and cognitive instructional research-based methods, and collaborative consultation.
Applying to the Program
Students who wish to apply to this program should:
- Send a letter of interest to the EHS Center for Student Services office, 421 EHS, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859.
- Include transcripts of all special education courses completed.
- Include a copy of Michigan teaching certificate with teaching endorsement in special education.
Your advisor will be Dr. Holly Hoffman, 357 EHS, (989) 774-1498.
To Pursue this Program
- Apply to the College of Graduate Studies for non-degree or Master's degree status.
- Sign the LD Endorsement Program form.
- Prior to applying for the endorsement, pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (LD, #63). Call (989) 774-3309 for the registration booklet.
To Apply to Add the LD Endorsement to Your Teaching Certificate
Contact the EHS Center for Student Services office, 421 EHS, Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI, 48859, (989) 774-3309. The Michigan Department of Education will send a billing statement to add the endorsement. You can request a Professional Certificate concurrently with an endorsement and save the endorsement fee.
PSY 667 (3) Assessments of Learning Disorders
SPE 675 (3) Teaching the Student with Learning Disabilities
SPE 685 (3) Innovative Cognitive Techniques in Special Education
SPE 689 (6) Practicum in Learning Disabilities
SPE 750 (3) Consultant Skills for Special Educators and Counselors
Restricted Elective (3) Language/Reading/Language Arts course (approved by advisor)
- Students must have successfully completed SPE/PSY 577 prior to admission.
- Students who have not successfully completed a course in special education during a five-year period prior to entering this program will be required to add SPE 600 - Current Issues in Special Education - to their program. Completion of workshops will not meet this requirement.
- Students must complete SPE 675, SPE 685 and PSY 667 before they register for the practicum, SPE 689.
Total: 21 semester hours
The above information is additionally available on the LD Endorsement Program Form.