In what order should I take the required CRFM courses? [ Top]
Sample order of courses:
RPL 118, RPL 261, RPL 307, RPL 430, Electives, RPL 511, RPL 310, RPL 545, RPL 508, RPL 518.
- Take RPL 118 first, this class will give you an overview of the entire field of recreation. RPL 261 should be the next course you take. Both 118 and 261 are prerequisites for most of the other required classes in the major.
- RPL 307 is an official prerequisite for RPL 511, but should be taken before each of the 500 level courses.
- RPL 310 must be taken 2 terms before you leave on your internship.
- RPL 518 should be taken your last term on campus.
- RPL 430 must be taken before RPL 438 or RPL 440 if taking these classes as electives.
Am I required to join a professional association before I graduate? [ Top]
No, joining a professional association is not a requirement of graduation, however, we strongly encourage you to select and join one. The benefits are endless (i.e. networking, industry information, professional conferences, etc.) and joining as a student will very often be a much lower rate than joining as a professional. Currently, our student organizations are SRA, MPI, and High Adventure Club.
How do I select a minor? [ top]
A minor (or equivalent) from the College of Business Administration is a requirement for all CRFM majors. You should select a minor based on the role you are seeking in your career as a recreation professional. Samples of typical minors based on career interests include:
- Owning your own Recreation Business: Entrepreneurship and Small Business Management
- Sports Arena Operations: Business Administration, Marketing, Management
- Resorts or Hotels: Hospitality Services Administration
- Theme Park Operations Management: Marketing, Business Administration
- Recreation: Retail Advertising, Retailing
Do I need to be admitted to the College of Business Administration to acquire a minor? [ Top]
No. You may take up to 27 credits from the College of Business Administration without having to be accepted in the College. Currently each minor in the College of Business Administration is either 21 or 24 credits.
If I double major, do I still need to acquire a minor from the College of Business Administration? [ Top]
Unless the other major you are seeking is in the College of Business Administration, you do need to still acquire a minor from the College of Business Administration.
Is any work in a recreation agency acceptable to fulfill the requirement of 500 hours of recreation experience? [ Top]
No. For your hours to be counted in the 500 hour recreation experience requirement you must have some exposure in the agency to recreation program development and implementation, management, leadership, supervision, or decision making. There are several positions that are typically not accepted for this requirement: wait staff, bartender, administrative assistant, kitchen staff, facility maintenance, and grounds/ landscape worker.
Does volunteer experience count in the 500 hours of recreation experience requirement? [ Top]
Yes. RPL student groups are a great source for volunteer opportunities and there are many volunteer opportunities right here on campus and in Mt. Pleasant.