CMU's therapeutic recreation program is designed to provide you with the knowledge, skills and practical experience necessary to become a nationally certified therapeutic recreation specialist. As you explore educational options, consider these key features that distinguish CMU's therapeutic recreation program:
- Faculty and staff dedicated to preparing students for positions as therapeutic recreation specialists.
- Extensive professional internships under the supervision of a nationally certified therapeutic recreation specialist
- Help with internship placement through the Center for Leisure Services
- Noteable success in passing the national therapeutic recreation certification exam.
Career Options in Therapeutic Recreation
Graduates of the therapeutic recreation program will find a variety of career opportunities available to them.
- Residential Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centers
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Psychiatric Treatment Centers
- Adult Day Care / Senior Centers
- Community Therapeutic Recreation Programs
- Agencies Working With People With Developmental Disabilities
- Agencies Working With At-Risk Youth
- Camp Programs
- Correctional Facilities