All candidates in the teacher education program at Central Michigan University are expected to participate in learning situations and field experiences representing a wide range of diverse settings. In order to be recommended for certification, each candidate must complete their field experiences in such a way as to ensure that all the categories listed below are met.
A candidate can begin fulfilling the categories during their Pre-Professional Hours prior to admission to the Teacher Education Program. This information will be reviewed at Pre-Student Teaching and Student Teaching for placement purposes. Professional Education courses within the teacher preparation program will prepare students for dealing effectively with the various field placement types identified below, as well as with other important aspects of diversity. You can review which categories you have met by checking your Student Information Sheet.
At any time, a candidate may complete an “additional 30 hours” field experience on their own if he/she has not met all the categories within their Pre-Professional Hours, Pre-Student Teaching, and Student Teaching placements.
Documentation of Diversity Categories
Categories for diversity are automatically documented for you by staff in the TEPD Department for your Pre-Student Teaching (after submission of signed paperwork at the end of the course) and Student Teaching (approximately a month after the semester begins). Documentation for all Pre-Professional Hours, and for any additional 30 hours experiences must be submitted by the candidate by using the online form (Field Experience/Observation Hours Form). The link to the diversity forms page is located below.
Note: You must observe at least 30 hours in the same school in order to fulfill any diversity category. It is possible for one 30-hour experience to fulfill 6 out of the 7 categories. Urban Setting and Non-Urban Setting will need to be fulfilled in different geographic areas.
- Race/Ethnicity - Candidates will participate in a classroom setting for a minimum of 30 hours with 20% or more non-white students as the basic classroom population.
- Socio-economic Status - Candidates will participate in a field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a school that has a minimum of 20% of students registered for free/reduced lunch.
- Gender - Candidates are expected to participate in a classroom setting for a minimum of 30 hours where both male and female students are learners.
- Exceptionalities - Candidates will complete a field experience in a classroom for a minimum of 30 hours that is defined as inclusive. The classroom will included students identified as having a physical, mental, or emotional exceptionality, a speech/communication disorder, or as gifted or talented.
- ESL - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a district that includes an ESL student population.
- K-12 School Setting 1 - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a Category 1 (Non-Urban) school setting.
- K-12 School Setting 2 - Candidates will complete at least one field experience for a minimum of 30 hours in a Category 2 (Urban) school settingDiversity Links