Incentives: Incentives for faculty fellows include the following:
- Service credit for providing professional development in Michigan schools.
- Opportunities for scholarly and collaborative work on articles, grant applications, presentations, and classroom research.
- Access to Center research and evaluation data for grants, presentations, and publications.
- Training as a GEMS Associate (professional development to improve teaching).
Professional Development Fellows: Fellows may provide professional development for Central Michigan University faculty, CMU preservice teachers, PK-12 inservice teachers, or community college faculty. When professional development opportunities are offered by the Center, a call will go out for Fellows to staff the professional development opportunity. Professional development fellows may propose to offer a course through the center for which they would automatically be selected.
Expectations for Professional Development Fellows: Fellows in the professional development category must participate in at least one professional development opportunity during each semester that they are serving as a fellow. The duties including planning for the professional development opportunity and teaching a segment of the class.
Research Fellows: Research fellows conduct research in the classrooms of GEMS Associates, Professional Development Schools, or other venues identified by the Center. Fellows are always allowed to conduct research on their own, the Center wishes to limit certain research opportunities because we do not want to inundate schools with researchers. Teachers, schools, building principals, and district administrators will be approached before a research study begins.
Expectations for Research Fellows: Research Fellows must do the following PRIOR to beginning a research study conducted under the auspices of the Center:
- File a brief proposal for the research that will be reviewed by the Center executive board.
- Obtain IRB approval for research that involves human subjects.
- Obtain a letter of approval from the venue where research will be conducted.
Research Fellows must notify the Center of any change in how research will be conducted.
Research Fellows must do the following AFTER completing a research study under the auspices of the Center:
- File a report of completion that includes where study will be presented or published.
- Give the Center credit in any presentation, publication or grant in which the research will be used.