The deadline for receipt of all applications materials is November 15 for the School Program. Minimum admission requirements include an undergraduate major in psychology or at least 15 semester hours of psychology and a 3.0 overall grade point average. A background in scientific psychology and basic research methodology including statistics and experimental psychology is strongly weighted to assure that students will be conversant with research. Students who do not meet the required 15 semester hours of basic psychology courses, but appear qualified for doctoral study, are required to remedy deficiencies as part of their initial coursework. The Doctoral Admissions Committee will identify what coursework is necessary and inform the student about remediation.
In addition to grades and GRE scores (taken within five years of application), the Doctoral Admissions Committee is very attentive to letters of recommendation, personal statements, and relevant professional experiences. Work history, professional goals, capacity for relating to and working with other people, emotional maturity and stability, and motivation also are considered. GRE scores are viewed as one predictor of the likelihood of success in graduate study. Consequently, for applicants who already hold a graduate degree in school psychology or a related field, greater weight is given to prior graduate school performance than GRE scores.
School Doctoral Application Process
Doctoral Program in School Psychology
Deadline for entry in fall 2014: November 15, 2013
1. Complete and submit an application with all required application materials to the College of Graduate Studies at https://apply.cmich.edu/
(Domestic and International).
TOEFL Code: 1106 (Required)
2. Complete and submit the Doctoral Background Information form
. This form may either be mailed to CMU, Psychology Department, School Program, Sloan 139, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859 or emailed to PSYAPPS@cmich.edu
. (Required) If you are unable to send the form as a PDF file please send as an XML file.
3. Mail official transcripts to: College of Graduate Studies, Central Michigan University, Foust Hall 100, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859. (Required)
4. Complete and submit three Recommendation for Admission
to accompany three letters of reference. Hard copies of this form must be returned directly to CMU, Psychology Department, School Psychology Program, Sloan 139, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859. (Required)
5. You must request the Educational Testing Service (ETS) to send an official copy of your GRE scores to the Chairperson, School Psychology Admissions Committee, Department of Psychology, Central Michigan University, Sloan Hall 139, Mt. Pleasant, Michigan 48859. The code for Central Michigan University is 1106 and the School Psychology Program Code number is 3406. (Required)(The subject portion of the GRE is not required)
6. Complete the Martin Luther King. Jr./César Chávez/Rosa Parks Future Faculty Program application
7. We encourage all applicants to be familiar with APA's Rules for Acceptance of Offers for Admission and Financial Aid.APA web site
If you have any questions in regards to the above requirements please contact:
Department of Psychology @ 989-774-3001.
Central Michigan University, Psychology Department, School Psychology Programs,
Sloan Hall 139, Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859.
If you have specific questions about the applicant reviewal process by the admissions committee please contact: Dr. Sharon Bradley-Johnson, Admissions Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
.Thank you for your interest in CMU!