Ph.D., Geography, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2011
- American Geographical Society
- American Society for Environmental History
- Association of American Geographers
- 2009-10: Whitbeck Graduate Dissertator Fellowship, UW Geography Department
- 2008: Trewartha Graduate Research Award, UW Geography Department
- 2006: Association of American Geographers, Historical Geography Specialty Group Student Research Award, Master’s Level
- 2006: Michigan Technological University Copper Country Archives Travel Award
Cultural Geography, Economic Geography, Historical Geography
Cultural Geography, Vernacular Landscapes, Rural Economic Development, Geographic Methods, Environmental History, Great Lakes Issues
- In Press. “People, Partnerships, Parks: Community Conceptions of Keweenaw National Historical Park.” Forthcoming in Geographical Review.
- In Press. Robert F. Sasso, Matthew Liesch, and Derek Rivers. “GIS Analysis of Potawatomi Site Characteristics.” Forthcoming in Wisconsin Archaeologist.
- Liesch, Matthew, 2010. Entries on “Mapping and Surveying,” “United States Midwest” and “Built Environment” for the Encyclopedia of American Environmental History.
- Liesch, Matthew, 2008. “A Region of Hope, A Region of Despair: Print Media, Geographical Imagination, and the Gogebic Mining Boom.” Historical Geography. 36(1): 182-207.
Dr. Liesch has also authored book reviews in Professional Geographer, Historical Geography, Journal of Cultural Geography, Cultural Geographies, and other journals.