Donald G. Uzarski
|Director, CMU Biological Station|
Director, CMU Institute for Great Lakes Research
Associate Editor, Wetlands
Member, State of Michigan Wetland Advisory Council
Brooks Hall 127
- B.S., Grand Valley State University, 1992
- M.S., Central Michigan University, 1995
- Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1999
Wetland Ecology, Limnology, Conservation of Natural Resources
Wetland Ecology, Great Lakes Ecology, Nutrient Cycling, Ecosystem Ecology
Current Research Projects
I am a limnologist and aquatic ecologist. My research interests include measures of ecosystem health of Great Lakes coastal wetlands using indices of biotic integrity. My lab has developed indices of biotic integrity for inland depressional and Great Lakes coastal wetlands. Our work most often involves investigations of the effects of anthropogenic disturbance on community composition and the relationships of land use/land cover to chemical/physical variables and lentic and lotic biota.
- Coulter, D.P., B.A. Murry, W.C. Webster, and D.G. Uzarski. 2010. The growth of a Great
Lakes invasive fish species, the round goby, on four naturally occurring prey items. Freshwater Ecology.
- Parker, A.D., D.G. Uzarski, C.R. Ruetz III, and T.M. Burton. 2009. Diets of yellow perch
( Perca flavescens) in wetland habitats of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 24(3): 347-355.
- Nelson K.M., C.R. Ruetz III, and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. Colonization by Dreissena of Great Lakes coastal ecosystems: how suitable are wetlands? Freshwater Biology. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2427.2009.02265x.
- Cooper, M.J., C.R. Ruetz III, D.G. Uzarski, and B.M. Shafer. 2009. Habitat use and diet of the round goby (Neogobius melanostomus) in coastal areas of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 24(3): 477-488.
- Parker, A.D., C.A. Stepien, O.J. Sepulveda-Villet, C.B. Ruehl, and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. The
interplay of morphology, habitat, resource use, and genetic relationships in young yellow perch. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 138: 899-914.
- Cooper, M.J., R.R. Rediske, D.G. Uzarski, and T.M. Burton. 2009. Sediment contamination and faunal communities in two subwatersheds of Mona Lake, Michigan. Journal of Environmental Quality 38:1-11.
- Uzarski, D.G., T.M. Burton, Kolar, R.E. and M.J. Cooper. 2009. The Ecological Impacts of Fragmentation and Vegetation Removal in Lake Huron Coastal Wetlands. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 12 (1): 45-62.
- Burton, T.M.and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. Biodiversity in protected coastal wetlands along the west coast of Lake Huron. Biodiversity and Bioassessment of Protected Coastal Wetlands. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 12 (1): 63-76.
- Uzarski, D.G. 2009. Wetlands of Large Lakes. Encyclopedia of Inland Waters. (Gene E. Likens, Editor). Oxford: Elsevier. p. 599-606.
- Uzarski, D.G., A.T. Bosch, M.J. Cooper and T.M. Burton. 2009. Wetland ecology and management for fish, amphibians and reptiles. Encyclopedia of Inland Waters. (Gene E. Likens, Editor). Oxford: Elsevier. p. 582-589.
- Burton, T.M. and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. Freshwater Marshes-Non-Forested Wetlands. Encyclopedia of Inland Waters. (Gene E. Likens, Editor). Oxford: Elsevier. p. 531-540.
- Cooper, M.J., D.G. Uzarski, and T.M. Burton. 2009. Benthic Invertebrate Fauna, Wetland Ecosystems. Encyclopedia of Inland Waters. (Gene E. Likens, Editor). Oxford: Elsevier. p. 232-241.
- Wessell K.J., R.W. Merritt, J.G.O. Wilhelm, J.D. Allan, K.W. Cummins, and D.G. Uzarski 2008. Biological evaluation of Michigan’s non-wadeable rivers using macroinvertebrates. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 11 (3): 335-351.
- Bhagat, Y. J.J.H. Ciborowski, L.B. Johnson, T.M. Burton, D.G. Uzarski, S. A. Timmermans and M. Cooper. 2007. Testing a fish index of biotic integrity for Great Lakes coastal wetlands: stratification by plant zones. Journal of Great Lakes Research 33 (3):224-235.
- Cooper, M.J., D.G. Uzarski and T.M. Burton. 2007. Macroinvertebrate community composition in relation to anthropogenic disturbance, vegetation, and organic sediment depth in four Lake Michigan drowned river mouth wetlands. Wetlands 27 (4):894-903.
- Ruetz III C.R., D.G. Uzarski, D.M. Krueger, and E.S. Rutherford. 2007. Sampling a littoral fish assemblage: Comparing small-mesh fyke netting and boat electrofishing. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27:825-831.
- Cooper, M.J., C.R. Ruetz III, D.G. Uzarski and T.M. Burton. 2007. Distribution of round gobies ( Neogobius melanostomus) in Lake Michigan drowned river mouth lakes and wetlands: do coastal wetlands provide refugia for native species? Journal of Great Lakes Research 33(2): 303-313.
- Stevenson R.J., M.J. Wiley, S.H. Gage, V.L. Lougheed, C.M. Riseng, P. Bonnell, T.M. Burton, R.A.Hough, D.W. Hyndman, J.K. Koches, D.T. Long, B.C. Pijanowski, J.Qi, A.D. Steinman, and D.G. Uzarski. 2007. Watershed Science: Essential, Complex, Multidisciplinary and Collaboratory. In Wei “Wayne” Ji, Editor. Wetland and Water Resource Modeling and Assessment: A Watershed Perspective. P. 231-246.