|Research Assistant Professor|
Ph.D., University of Massachusetts - Amherst, 2012
GIS and Hyperspectral Remote Sensing, Spatial Analysis and Statistics, Climate Change and Aquatic Ecosystem, Human-Nature Interaction
Current Research Project
My current research focuses on the remote sensing of carbon in water. We proposed a scheme, which is based on the QAA-CDOM algorithm and hyperspectral images provided by EO-1 Hyperion, to assess the content and dynamic of colored dissolved organic matter (CDOM) in estuarine and coastal regions. This scheme has been validated in many studied sites, including the Mississippi River, Hudson River, Neponset River, etc., and performed accurately and robustly. Now we are applying it to the Great Lakes as well as rivers and their estuaries within and around watersheds. The objective of this project is to know how much dissolved organic carbon (DOC) is transferred to the Great Lakes, how DOC is distributed and altered in estuarine and lake shore regions, and then to capture the major factors impacting on DOC export and understand the relationship between DOC export, regional climate change and human activities.
(Publications on ResearcherID)
Zhu, W.N., Y.Q. Tian, Q. Yu, and B.L. Becker, 2013, Using Hyperion Imagery to Monitor the Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Colored Dissolved Organic Matter in Estuarine and Coastal Regions, Remote Sensing of Environment, 134 (2013):342-354, DOI:10.1016/j.rse.2013.03.009.
- Zhu, W.N., and Q. Yu, 2013, Inversion of Chromophoric Dissolved Organic Matter (CDOM) for Turbid Estuarine and Coastal Waters Using Hyperspectral Remote Sensing, IEEE Transactions on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, DOI: 10.1109/TGRS.2012.2224117.
- Tian, Y.Q., Q. Yu, and W.N. Zhu, 2012, Estimating of chromophoric dissolved organic matter (CDOM) with in-situ and satellite hyperspectral remote sensing technology, Book Series: IEEE International Symposium on Geoscience and Remote Sensing IGARSS, 2040-2042.
- Zhu, W.N., Q. Yu, Y.Q. Tian, R.F. Chen, and G.B. Gardner, 2011, Estimating of chromophoric dissolved organic matter (CDOM) in the Mississippi and Atchafalaya River plume regions using above-surface hyperspectral remote sensing, Journal of Geophysical Research & Oceans, 116, CO2011, DOI: 10.1029/2010JC006523.
- Zhu, W.N., and Q. Yu, 2010, Spatial chromatic tessellation: conception, interpretation, and implication, Annals of GIS, 16(4), 237-254. (Best Student Paper Award, Geoinformatics 2010).
- Yu, Q., Y.Q. Tian, R.F. Chen, A. Liu, G.B. Gardner and W.N. Zhu, 2010, Functional linear analysis for estimating riverine CDOM in coastal environment using in situ hyperspectral data, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 76(10), 1147, C1158. (2009 Early Career Best Paper Award, AAG Remote Sensing Specialty Group).
- Zhu, W.N., 2006, Competition metric, Physics Letters A, Vol. 353, No. 2-3, 166-170.