Donald G. Uzarski
|Founding Director, Institute for Great Lakes Research|
Director, CMU Biological Station
Brooks Hall 127
- Ph.D., Limnology/Stream Ecology; Ecological, Evolutionary, and Behaviorial Biology, Michigan State University, 1999
- M.S., Central Michigan University
- B.S., Grand Valley State University, 1992
Great Lakes coastal wetland ecology, invasive species.
- Ogdahl, M., A. D. Steinman, D.G. Uzarski, and J.Rathbun (submitted) A Methodology for
Evaluating the Effectiveness of Best Management Practices (BMPs) for Erosion and Sedimentation Control. Journal of Environmental Management.
- Uzarski, R.L., J. Clarke, D.G. Uzarski, and J.J. Pestka (submitted). Induction of apoptosis and
cytotoxicity by environmental and food-borne trichothecenes: quantitative structure activity relationships. Environmental Health Perspectives.
- Coulter, D.P., B.A. Murry, W.C. Webster, and D.G. Uzarski. (accepted). The growth of a Great
Lakes invasive fish species, the round goby, on four naturally occurring prey items. Ecology of Freshwater Fish.
- Parker, A.D., D.G. Uzarski, C.R. Ruetz III, and T.M. Burton. 2009. Diets of yellow perch
(Perca flavescens) in wetland habitats of Saginaw Bay, Lake Huron. Journal of Freshwater Ecology.
- Nelson K.M., C.R. Ruetz III, and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. Colonization by Dreissena of Great Lakes coastal ecosystems: how suitable are wetlands? Freshwater Biology. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2427.2009.02265x.
- Cooper, M.J., C.R. Ruetz III, D.G. Uzarski, and B.M. Shafer. 2009. Habitat use and diet of the
round goby (Neogobius melanostomus) in coastal areas of Lake Michigan and Lake Huron. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 24(3): 477-488.
- Parker, A.D., C.A. Stepien, O.J. Sepulveda-Villet, C.B. Ruehl, and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. The
interplay of morphology, habitat, resource use, and genetic relationships in young yellow perch. Transactions of the American Fisheries Society 138: 899-914.
- Cooper, M.J., R.R. Rediske, D.G. Uzarski, and T.M. Burton. 2009. Sediment contamination and
faunal communities in two subwatersheds of Mona Lake, Michigan. Journal of Environmental Quality 38:1-11.
- Uzarski, D.G., T.M. Burton, Kolar, R.E. and M.J. Cooper. 2009. The Ecological Impacts of Fragmentation and Vegetation Removal in Lake Huron Coastal Wetlands. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 12 (1): 45-62.
- Burton, T.M.and D.G. Uzarski. 2009. Lake Huron's Ignored Wetlands: Biodiversity and Bioassessment of Protected Coastal Wetlands. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 12 (1): 63-76.
- Wessell K.J., R.W. Merritt, J.G.O. Wilhelm, J.D. Allan, K.W. Cummins, and D.G. Uzarski 2008. Biological evalutation of Michigan’s non-wadeable rivers using macroinvertebrates. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 11 (3): 335-351.
- Bhagat, Y. J.J.H. Ciborowski, L.B. Johnson, T.M. Burton, D.G. Uzarski, S. A. Timmermans
and M. Cooper. 2007. Testing a fish index of biotic integrity for Great Lakes coastal wetlands: stratification by plant zones. Journal of Great Lakes Research 33 (3):224-235.
- Cooper, M.J., D.G. Uzarski and T.M. Burton. 2007. Macroinvertebrate community composition in relation to anthropogenic disturbance, vegetation, and organic sediment depth in four Lake Michigan drowned river mouth wetlands. Wetlands 27 (4):894-903.
- Ruetz III C.R., D.G. Uzarski, D.M. Krueger, and E.S. Rutherford. 2007. Sampling a littoral fish assemblage: Comparing small-mesh fyke netting and boat electrofishing. North American Journal of Fisheries Management 27:825-831.
- Cooper, M.J., C.R. Ruetz III, D.G. Uzarski and T.M. Burton. 2007. Distribution of round gobies (Neogobius melanostomus) in Lake Michigan drowned river mouth lakes and wetlands: do coastal wetlands provide refugia for native species? Journal of Great Lakes Research 33(2): 303-313.
- Gyekis, K.F., M.J. Cooper, and D.G. Uzarski. 2006. A New High-Intensity LED Light Source for Larval Fish and Aquatic Invertebrate Floating Quatrefoil Light Traps. Journal of Freshwater Ecology 21(4): 621-626.
- Cooper, M.J., D.G. Uzarski, T.M. Burton, and R.R. Rediske. 2006. Macroinvertebrate community composition in response to chemical/physical condition, land use and cover, and vegetation within a Lake Michigan drowned river mouth wetland. Aquatic Ecosystem Health and Management 9(4): 463-479.
- Steinman, A.D., R. Rediske, X. Chu, R. Denning, L. Nemeth, D.G. Uzarski, B. Biddanda, and M. Luttenton. 2006. An environmental assessment of an impacted, urbanized watershed: the Mona Lake Watershed, Michigan. Archiv fuer Hydrobiologie. 166(1):117-144.
- Uzarski, D.G., T.M. Burton, M.J. Cooper, J. Ingram, and S. Timmermans. 2005. Fish Habitat Use Within and Across Wetland Classes in Coastal Wetlands of the Five Great Lakes: Development of a Fish Based Index of Biotic Integrity. Journal of Great Lakes Research 31(supplement 1): 171-187.
- Uzarski, D.G., C.A. Stricker, T.M. Burton, D.K. King, and A.D. Steinman. 2004. The importance of hyporheic sediment respiration in several mid-order Michigan streams. Hydrobiologia. 518: 47-57.
- Uzarski, D.G., T.M. Burton and J.A. Genet. 2004. Validation and performance of an invertebrate index of biotic integrity for Lakes Huron and Michigan fringing wetlands during a period of lake level decline. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management. 7(2): 269-288.
- Burton, T.M., D.G. Uzarski and J.A. Genet. 2004. Invertebrate habitat use in relation to fetch and plant zonation in northern Lake Huron coastal wetlands. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management. 7(2): 249-267.
- Steinman, A.D., J. Conklin, P.J. Bohlen, and D.G. Uzarski. 2003 Influence of cattle grazing and land use on macroinvertebrate communities in freshwater wetlands. Wetlands. 23: 877-889.
- Burton, T.M., C.A. Stricker, and D.G. Uzarski. 2002. Effects of plant community composition and exposure to wave action on invertebrate habitat use of Lake Huron coastal wetlands. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management. 7: 255-269.
- Wilcox, D.A., J.E. Meeker, P.L. Hudson, B.J. Armitage, M.G. Black and D.G. Uzarski. 2002. Hydrologic variability and the application of index of biotic integrity metrics to wetlands: a Great Lakes evaluation. Wetlands 22(3): 588-615.
- Uzarski, D.G., T.M. Burton, and C.A. Stricker. 2001. A new chamber design for measuring community metabolism in a Michigan stream. Hydrobiologia 455: 137-155.
- Burton, T.M., D.G. Uzarski, R.S. Stelzer, S.L. Eggert, W.V. Sobczak, and D.M. Mullen. 2000. The impact of extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields on stream periphyton: an eleven-year study. Hydrobiologia. 439:61-76.
- Ulrich, K.E., T.M. Burton, and D.G. Uzarski. 2000. The effects of whole-tree harvest on benthic insects in small New Hampshire streams. Verh. Internat. Verein. Limnol. 27: 1079-1089.