- To provide the department majors (and minors) with an undergraduate program consistent in quality with national norms.
- To provide quality graduate programs at a level consistent with the needs of society, the mission of Central Michigan University and the professional development of the faculty.
- To join with the College of Education and Human Services and other units in preparing science teachers, who will contribute to quality elementary, middle school and secondary instruction.
- To be of maximum service to those university departments and programs of study whose curricula, majors and/or minors are enhanced and supported by an understanding of physics, physical science or astronomy.
- To contribute to the general education of Central Michigan University students by offering effectively taught University Program and other general education courses of academic quality and merit.
- To foster a level of research and professional activity essential to the graduate program and to the professional growth of the faculty.
- To cooperate with and contribute to the programs of regional, national and international professional associations that represent the disciplines and interests of the department.
- To serve the Central Michigan community and its schools by being a source of information for teachers and other citizens of the area, and by contributing to the continuing education of the adult population.