Nominations are being accepted through Monday, Jan. 20 for the 2014 CMU Woman of the Year. This award is part of a statewide initiative presented locally by the CMU Chapter of the Institution of the Michigan ACE (American Council of Education) Women's Network.
The nominee must be an employee of Central Michigan University and an individual who has exhibited outstanding leadership to other women on campus and in the community. The award is open to women at any level or position at CMU and is designed to recognize work on behalf of women in higher education that is outside the scope of the nominee's formal staff or faculty job responsibilities.
Activities considered worthy of the recognition include the following:
- mentoring women to enhance their leadership skills in higher education
- promoting women into increasingly responsible roles in higher education
- planning and implementing programs for women leaders in higher education
- conducting research on and writing about women's leadership in higher education
- making presentations on women in leadership in higher education
- serving as a catalyst for policy changes
- attaining a higher education leadership position in which the nominee serves as an inspiration or role model
- being recognized nationally and/or internationally for work on behalf of women in higher education
Preference will be given to nominees with the following attributes: --an evident philosophy of helping other women that goes beyond job responsibilities --a reputation for fairness, equity, and justice that is based on actions on behalf of women --a positive impact on women in leadership that goes beyond the nominee's own campus --publications or presentations that provide new information of use to women --evidence of advancement on behalf of women in general by breaking gender barriers (e.g., in career roles normally dominated by men).
We have many talented women on campus who exhibit leadership in all manners and forms. Please nominate those whom you might recommend for this prestigious honor. The award will be given during a lunch event on March 6, 2014, in the UC Rotunda as part of a Women’s History Month Celebration in partnership with the Network for Women.
- Email name, title, and campus address/contact information of nominee and nominator to Amy McGinnis, firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to Tracy Galarowicz, email@example.com, CMU ACE Institutional Representatives
- Short paragraph on why you feel the person should be selected for the CMU Woman of the Year—and be sure to make reference to the qualities outlined above.
- Inform your nominee that the CMU-ACE selection committee will be requesting their curriculum vitae.
- Nominations will be accepted until January 20th, 2014.
- Nominees will then be notified and will have until January 29th to supply their curriculum vitae and leadership philosophy statements.
Files: Woman of the Year Flyer 2014.docx