- Forensics update:
- CMU Forensics was third in overall points at the Eastern Michigan University alumni tournament (1/31/14) and also third at Novice State Nationals (2/8/14).
- The debate team was second in overall points at the Eastern Michigan Tower tournament (2/1/14 - 2/2/14).
- Theatre students successful at American College Theatre Festival Competitions - Region 3! Below are the highlights:
Good news for CMU Grad Students!
- Katie Hodgdon received the Top Student Paper Award for the Argumentation and Forensics Interest Group of the Central States Communication Association for April 2014.
- Sara Kitsch's thesis was recognized by the Graduate School with an "Outstanding Thesis Award."
- The following graduate students have received news that they were accepted by Texas A & M's doctoral program in Communication Studies: Ryan Rigda, Katie Hodgdon, and Marco Ehrl.
COMING IN MARCH
EMMY AWARD WINNING DANCE COMPANY TO VISIT CMU
The Chicago-based company, Jump Rhythm Jazz Project, will perform and teach at CMU March 18 – 22.
(Click here for a printable flyer with schedule) The Emmy-Award winning, Chicago-based dance company Jump Rhythm Jazz Project will be teaching and performing on the campus of Central Michigan University from March 18 to 22, 2014. There are several activities to experience and we invite you to come and join in the learning and the fun!
JRJP celebrates the communal core of jazz performance — dancing, singing, and story-telling in rhythmically syncopated conversations to the beat-driven sounds of the blues, swinging jazz, funk, hip hop, and world music. JRJP was founded by Billy Siegenfeld, creator of the Jump Rhythm®Technique and the concept of Standing Down Straight®, which is being taught in some of the world’s most prestigious centers of dance education.
Sponsored by: The Central Michigan University Provost's Office, University Theatre, The Department of Communication and Dramatic Arts, and The College of Communication and Fine Arts.
Please help us spread the word! Join the event on Facebook here and invite your friends!
JUMP RHYTHM JAZZ PROJECT EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
A showing of the Emmy Award winning documentary, Getting There: Jump Rhythm Jazz Project
Park Library Auditorium - 8:00 p.m.
Open to the public, free of charge
Lecture: American Rhythm Dancing™: The Joyous Art of Misbehaving
- Billy Siegenfeld, Jump Rhythm Jazz Project Artistic Director
- Park Library Auditorium 8:00 PM - Open to the public, free of charge
Weaving excerpts from movie musicals and music videos with live dance demonstrations, Billy Siegenfeld, Emmy® Award-winning artistic director of Jump Rhythm Jazz Project, shares how the African American-originated tradition of rhythm-driven song and dance continues to set the standard for taking the energies we feel in the deepest parts of ourselves and turning them into occasions for communal affirmation.
Jump Rhythm Community Dance Class
- Rose 127 Dance Studio - 10:00 – 11:15 AM
- Open to the public, free of charge
- RSVP to Tromm1hm@cmich.edu
Jump Rhythm Jazz Project in Concert
- Plachta Auditorium - 7:30 PM
- Tickets on sale now at Ticket Central:
- 989-774-3045 - cmich.edu/ticketcentral
- General Public: $18 - Seniors: $10 - Students: $10
- Group rate information available
JUMP RHYTHM MASTER CLASSES
A series of Jump Rhythm Master classes will be held for CMU students, faculty and staff.
- March 19 - 22
- For specific information and registration, e-mail Heather Trommer-Beardslee. Tromm1hm@cmich.edu
15th Annual Communication and Social Action Conference
Please join us for a lively day of discussion and presentations as we present the 2014 Communication and Social Action Conference. This year's theme will be Communication and Ethics, and our Keynote Speaker will be Dr. Valerie Peterson.
Please click here for a printable flyer with all the details and we'll see you here!
Thursday, March 20, 2014
Kiva, Moore Hall
Open to the public
Topic: Organizing/Communicating Sustainably
Presenter: Rahul Mitra
11:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
Topic: Inside the Interrogation Room: Ethical Considerations Concerning the Elicitation and Consequences of Suspects' Confessions
Presenter: Kyle Scherr
12:30 - 1:45 pm.
Topic: Rational Approaches to Collective Decision Making, the Role of Ethical Leadership, and Organizational Effectiveness
Presenter: Dennis Gouran
2:00 - 3:15 p.m.
Topic: HIV Stigmatization in Media Discourse and Communication Strategy to Reduce HIV Stigmatization in Media
Presenter: Richard Ren
3:30 - 4:45 p.m.
Topic: Top Student Paper Awards
5:00 - 6:15 p.m. - Keynote Address
Topic: Communication, Sex, and Ethics
Presenter: Valerie Peterson