CMU provides a transformative education to prepare students for successful careers and fulfilling lives. Successful students complete their programs of study in a reasonable amount of time and are well prepared for careers and/or postgraduate study. Alumni perceive their CMU education as a sound investment.
- Review and modify all undergraduate degree programs so that they require no more than 120 credits (unless more are required by external accreditors), which would allow most students to graduate in four years. Evaluate the curriculum for enhancing efficiency.
- Provide the following:
- Faculty and staff who possess the necessary disciplinary and teaching expertise to help students meet learning outcomes.
- Courses, programs, cocurricular, and extracurricular experiences — whether face-to-face, online, or hybrid — for the diverse range and geographical locations of our students as well as their current and continuing educational and professional development needs.
Appropriate, adequate, and proactive student services (e.g., advising, mentoring, career services, degree audit).
- Enhance infrastructure to support teaching and learning and to help undergraduate students develop college-going identities (e.g., curricular policies and procedures, classrooms and laboratories, instructional technologies and other resources, writing and math centers, first-year gateway courses and experiences).
- Examine the organizational structure of the academic and administrative divisions for ways to increase efficiency and effectiveness that will enhance student success.
- Support strategic enrollment management practices and merit-based financial aid to recruit exceptional undergraduate and graduate students.
- Conduct and review the results of program assessments, the National Survey of Student Engagement, and exit and alumni surveys to ensure that courses, programs, co-curricular, and extra-curricular experiences prepare students for their lives, careers, and/or career advancement.
- Implement multi-year course schedules and multisemester registration.
- Make a more robust effort to prepare students for careers and career advancement (e.g., internships, job placement assistance, etc.) and to identify and follow the employment of our graduates.