An active assailant is any person who is trying to cause harm to others with or without a weapon. Weapons could include a firearm, knife or any other object to cause harm. Surviving a situation that involves an active assailant/shooter may depend on your quick reaction. Below are some key ideas to help you react quickly and know what to do if you are ever confronted with a dangerous, life-threatening situation.
Active Assailant/Shooter: TAKE ACTION
When an active assailant/shooter is in your vicinity: RUN, HIDE, FIGHT.
- RUN away from the threat if safe to do so.
HIDE if you cannot run.
- Be alert: police may be responding — follow their directions.
- Call 911 when safe to do so.
FIGHT against the threat, only as a last resort.
- Find a safe place to shelter, LOCK the door, STAY away from windows and SILENCE your cell phone.
- Consider things that you could use to STOP the assailant/shooter like chairs, tables and fire extinguishers.
If you or others are injured, and when safe to do so,
STOP THE BLEED.
If outdoors or across/off campus from the emergency: Move or stay away from the affected area and follow the instructions provided to you through Central Alert. Learn what to do if you are instructed to
shelter in place.
Active Assailant/Shooter: GET READY
- Be aware of your surroundings!
- Notice the location of exits. Whether you are in a familiar building or visiting a building on campus, always look for multiple ways out.
- Think of where you would take cover or hide if you could not leave the building and how you would keep an assailant out of your area.
- Review and update your contact information for
- Think of what you might need (food, water and medication) if you must stay in one location for an extended period of time.
Situations happen quickly, and you must think fast about what you need to do to get yourself and others to safety. Ask yourself:
- Where am I in relation to the incident? Am I where the incident is taking place, near it, outside, across campus? Your location affects your choices.
- Is it safe to evacuate?
- Where would I shelter in place?
- If my life depended on it, would I take aggressive action against the shooter?
- What can I use to defend myself?
- How do I
STOP THE BLEED if someone is injured?