Central Michigan University places a premium on emergency planning. The University has several plans to manage a wide range of crisis scenarios and continually updates and refines its emergency management plans and practices. Please review the checklist below to ensure your personal preparedness and safety in the event of crisis.
I have entered my phone number into the CMU Central Alert System so I will receive emergency messages should there be an incident on campus. (Sign into your account at https://www.cmich.edu/Emergency_Preparedness_Home/Central_Alert.htm
and follow the link for Broadcast Messaging.)
I know more than one way to get out of every building where I work. If one exit is blocked, I can get out of the building using a different exit. I am familiar with the fire exits other campus buildings I frequent.
I know where to shelter at home and at work in case of severe weather such as a tornado. For a severe weather shelter area, I should avoid: windows and areas where there might be flying glass, exterior walls, rooms with high ceiling such as auditoriums, and I should try to get to one of the lowest levels in the building.
I plan to get a flu shot in advance of 2012-2013 flu season. To decrease my chances of getting the flu, I wash my hands regularly with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. I cough into my sleeve and not my hands.
I know that avoiding disease such as the flu involves frequent hand washing, covering my cough or sneeze, and staying away from others when I am sick.
I have an emergency kit at home. (Suggestions are to include a flashlight, a radio (and fresh batteries), non-perishable food, a first aid kit, and other items.) A listing of essential kit items is available at http://www.ready.gov/america/getakit/index.html/
Emergency Preparedness: Everyone's Responsibility
Central Michigan University encourages the campus community and their families to make plans and preparations for their personal safety and accommodation. We have included below a variety of resources available to assist in planning for emergencies.
1. CMU Police Department: A resource for crime prevention and personal safety on campus and in the community. https://www.cmich.edu/police.htm
2. Isabella County Emergency Management: http://www.isabellacounty.org/eoc/
3. Central Michigan District Health Department: http://www.cmdhd.org/
4. American Red Cross Steps To Preparedness: http://www.redcross.org/portal/site/en/menuitem.d229a5f06620c6052b1ecfbf43181aa0/?vgnextoid=354c2aebdaadb110VgnVCM10000089f0870aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default
5. State of Michigan Family Preparedness Guide: http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7-123-1593_3507_8920-25233--,00.html
6. United States Department of Homeland Security: Resources for family preparedness: http://www.ready.gov/america/makeaplan/index.html
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the CMU Police at (989) 774-8031