Music Building

East CampusMusic Building 

Music Building

CMU's Music Building is the result of over a decade of planning. In 1983, the State of Michigan approved the construction of the building. A cost estimate was submitted in 1986, but funding was not finally approved until 1994.

The building is actually three separate buildings joined by two-inch wide silicone and rubber joints. The architects for the project were Harley Ellington design of Southfield. Although the building itself is not named, fifteen rooms, including the lobby, are named for various CMU luminaries and donors.

CMU's state-of-the-art music building officially opened with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Sept. 11, 1997. The $21 million state-funded building features 119,000 square feet of classrooms, a 500-seat recital hall and 110-seat chamber music hall, lecture and rehearsal rooms, music technology laboratories, teaching studios, practice rooms, offices and a 30-station music resources center for listening to albums, cassette tapes and compact discs.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site