100 W. Ojibway Court
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858-3816
Sweeney Hall was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids. It was built as a women's dormitory, the sister hall of Merrill.
Sweeney Hall was named for a longtime professor in the Department of Physical Education and the coach of Central's gymnastics team. "Doc" Sweeney was born on August 13, 1907 in Mt. Pleasant. He graduated from Sacred Heart Academy and Central Michigan Normal. He taught gymnastics at Central and developed a touring gymnastics demonstration group. He spent thirteen years as a line coach of various sports and coached Central's basketball team during World War II. He was a pioneer in the development of summer athletic camps at Central, and was responsible for the change in mascot from the Bearcats to the Chippewas, which he felt would allow more pageantry at halftime. Sweeney Hall also houses the Education and Human Services Residential College
Sweeney Hall has four floors and contains 2-bedroom suites shared by four students. Each room is smoke-free and includes a private bathroom. Accessible accommodations are available.