101 E. Broomfield St.
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858-4588
Thorpe Hall's first residents were 300 "volunteers" who moved from their rooms in Robinson, Sloan, Ronan, and Barnes Halls. They were randomly selected and ordered to move over the weekend of December 15-19, 1962. Sixty came from Ronan, fifty from Barnes, forty from Sloan, and 150 from Robinson.
Like the rest of the residence halls on campus, Thorpe was designed by Roger Allen of Grand Rapids. The Collison Construction Co. of Midland was the main builder. The hall's suite plan was copied from Tate hall, the same plan that was used in all halls until the Towers. Thorpe hall has always housed men, but beginning fall 2007 it will become a coed community.
In 1989, the men of Thorpe initiated a program to fund a new weight facility. The program secured matching funds from Housing.
Thorpe Hall was named for the Head Librarian from 1955 to 1958. Before that, he had been an assistant librarian since 1941. He was born in Waco, Nebraska. He received his AB from Peru Teacher's College and his Master of Arts from the University of Michigan. He did course work toward his PhD at Michigan State University.
Thorpe Hall has four floors and contains 2-bedroom suites shared by four students. Each room is smoke-free and includes a private bathroom. Accessible accommodations are available.