Carlin Alumni House
Central Michigan University alumni are always welcome to visit campus. Alumni are encouraged to use the Carlin Alumni House, located on Bellows Street, as their headquarters for campus visits. The alumni house has a display of campus photos from 1892 to the present, Chippewa yearbooks from 1910 to the present and a library of books written by CMU alumni. There are several areas to sit, relax and reminisce about student days. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays.
The Carlin Alumni House was first built as a private residence in 1941. As the CMU campus expanded, the house was purchased by the university to house its top executive, who began living there in 1944. Presidents Charles Anspach, Judson Foust, William Boyd, and Harold Abel each lived there during their tenures. President Abel, who left the University in 1985, was the last to live in the house fulltime. However, President Ellis resided there for a brief period after the 1986 flood.
Plans to convert the house into an alumni center were underway by late 1989 and the transformation was complete by October of 1990. Approximately $500,000 was allocated by the university to pay for the 4,500 sq ft renovation. The restoration and expansion of the house included the addition of a conference room, reception areas, staff offices, and workrooms. The modern Alumni House serves as a "home base" for visiting graduates, special alumni events, and also as the office building for the alumni and development staffs.
The CMU Alumni House is named for Leslie and Marge Carlin, a husband and wife counseling team both of whom have long histories of association with the university. Leslie Carlin worked as a counselor in the Counseling Center from 1948 to 1981. Margo Carlin served as a residence hall housemother at Central from 1948 to 1967.