Ronan Hall was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, the architects for most of CMU's buildings. It was originally built as a library, because the existing library space in Warriner Hall was too crowded. Ronan brought a new era to libraries at Central. It was the first library here to have open browsing stacks instead of relying on staff to retrieve books for patrons. It was dedicated on April 26, 1956.
The naming of this building is somewhat confusing. When first constructed, it was called the Park Library, which is the name later given to the current library. Afterwards, it was named after Bertha Ronan. An older building which was demolished in 1970 had also been named for Ronan, leading to the confusion of the two buildings.
For information about Ronan Hall: click here