Wightman Hall

Northwest CampusWightman Hall 

Wightman Hall

Located on the northwest side of campus, Wightman Hall houses the departments of art and human environmental studies.

Wightman Hall was built on the site of the former athletic field which had been used until 1930. The building, designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, housed the Home Economics Department on the first floor and the Department of Fine Arts on the second floor. It also housed Industrial Education classes until the construction of the IET building in 1987. The building also housed the University Press.

The North Art Studio, which is connected to Wightman, was designed by Dow Associates and was completed in 1976.

Elizabeth R. Wightman did her earliest teaching in the public school system of Mount Pleasant, MI. She later studied at the Ypsilanti Normal College then returned to Mount Pleasant to teach geography and art at Central Normal. In 1900, she was promoted to the rank of professor and also made head of the Department of Art. She also served as the patroness of Pi Kappa Sigma and as the faculty advisor to the Art Club. She retired in 1937, a much beloved member of Central’s faculty. She died in the spring of 1940. Her obituary in the Mount Pleasant Times said that her friends and neighbors were shocked to learn that she had passed away in a Detroit hospital after just a few days of illness.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

1200 S. Franklin St • Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859
Phone: 989-774-4000

CMU is an AA/EO institution, providing equal opportunity to all persons, including minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. | CentralLink
Copyright Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich. 48859 | Phone 989-774-4000 | Privacy Policy | Feedback | Full Site