100 W Broomfield St
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858-3814
When Beddow Hall was first opened, the south quad (which it shared with Merrill, Thorpe, and Sweeney) was considered to be out in the country. There were no sidewalks, streetlights, or public transportation when the first students moved in. It has always been a women's residence, although that will change for fall 2007 when it will become a co-ed community.
Like most of Central's buildings, Beddow was designed by Grand Rapids architect Roger Allen. Its suite-style room arrangement copied the plan developed for Tate Hall that was used in all halls until the building of the Towers. It was dedicated on May 26, 1963.
Beddow's early residents were mostly freshmen who would often move out after the first semester. This was before the Towers became the unofficial freshman residence halls. When the hall opened, changes in policy reflected the changing times of the 1960s. Signing in and out was done away with and the quiet hours policy was liberalized. For the first time in a women's dormitory, men were allowed to visit the suites. In addition, drinking was allowed to people who were of legal age.
Beddow Hall was named for the head of the Department of Speech and Reading from 1905-1939. Ira Beddow was born in Southfield, Michigan, in 1867. He attended high school in Albion, Birmingham, and Ypsilanti. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Albion College, his AM from Columbia, and his PhD from the University of Michigan. He also did graduate work at the University of Chicago and London.
Beddow Hall has four floors and contains 2-bedroom suites shared by four students. Each room is smoke-free and includes a private bathroom. Accessible accommodations are available.