Pearce Hall is the home of math, computer science, and foreign languages, literatures and cultures.
The construction of Pearce Hall began during the summer of 1966 as part of the three building classroom complex, composed also of Brooks and Anspach Halls, on the southern half of campus. Pearce, like many other campus buildings of the period, was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, MI, at a cost of $2,650,000. The building, which served as the new home of the Foreign Language, Art, and Mathematics departments, opened its doors to students on September 18, 1967.
Webster Houston Pearce graduated from the Michigan State Normal College at Ypsilanti in 1904. He then continued his education by going on to receive further degrees from Albion (A.B.) and the University of Michigan (M.A.). He served as the principal of Albion High School from 1902 to 1904 and of Adrian High School from 1905-1908. He then worked as an assistant professor of mathematics at that Michigan State Normal College at Ypsilanti from 1909 until 1916, when he became a professor at Central.
Living in Mt. Pleasant also allowed him to expand his career into politics. He was the city's mayor from March of 1921 until June 1927. He also served as Superintendent of Public instruction for two terms. Pearce left both the college and the town in 1927 to become the president of Northern State Teachers' College. He passed away at his home in Marquette, MI in October of 1940.