206 W. Broomfield St.
Mt. Pleasant, MI 48858-3810
The Oliver W. Troutman Residence Hall is part of the Towers complex on the southeast end of campus, which houses more than 2000 students. It was designed by Roger Allen and Associates of Grand Rapids, who built most of Central Michigan University's buildings. It was the first building in the complex to open.
The Towers were partially based on student-designed blueprints. They were originally planned as a six-story complex on the north end of campus, where Northwest Apartments is now located. The site had to be changed, however, when engineers discovered that the ground would not be stable enough to support the massive structures. Since shoring up the ground would have increased an already soaring budget, the University decided to build the complex on the other end of campus on newly-annexed land on Broomfield Road.
Currently, Troutman Hall is home to the Multicultural Advancement and Lloyd Cofer
Each 1-bedroom suite is shared by four students, although reduced occupancy may be available.
All rooms are smoke-free.
Troutman Hall opened in 1969 as a women's residence hall. In 1972, the hall became co-ed, which it remains to this day.
The hall was named for the head of the Manual Training Department from 1913 to 1933. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Cornell, where he taught for several years before coming to Central Michigan.
While at Central, Troutman added a wide variety of courses to the Manual Training curriculum, most notably in metalworking.