Credit by Examination
Earn up to 6 credits toward your MA in Learning, Design, and Technology
If you have taught in online or blended settings for two or more years and haven't received graduate credit for it, you can take a competency exam and earn up to 6 credit hours.
Credit by Examination Policies and Procedures
A student admitted to the M.A. in Learning, Design, and Technology (MALDT) program who has completed two or more years of teaching or training in online or blended settings may apply for a maximum of six (6) semester hours of Credit by Examination (CBE). In this instance, the CBE is designed for those students who did not earn graduate credit for this experience.
CBE may be earned and applied only as follows:
- to fulfill the three (3) hours of course credits required for EDU 653, the student will take a written exam demonstrating their competency of outcomes for the course with a score of 11/15 points on the rubric or higher.
- to fulfill the three (3) hours of course credits required for EDU 708, the student will take a written exam demonstrating their competency of outcomes for the course with a score of 11/15 points on the rubric or higher.
Steps to be Followed:
The application should be completed by the student. Access the application by clicking Credit by Exam (DocuSign)
- You will fill out the DocuSign form using the following information:
- Your name and Cmich email
- Examination Instructor: Jennifer Weible and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Department Chair: Kathryn Dirkin and email@example.com
- Hit submit. You will fill in the form on the next page with the following:
- Your 6 digit ID number
- Degree Program: MALDT
- Course #: EDU653 Higher Order Web-Mediated Learning 3 Credits
- Course # EDU708 Designing & Implementing Online Learning Experiences 3 Credits
- Experience and Background: Brief statement about teaching/training online/blended/hybrid learning for 2 years.
- Submit. This will be signed and you will receive a digital approval to your Cmich email.
3. Email the approved form to the Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Pay for your exam(s). The CBE fee is $50 per credit hour or a total of $150/course or $300 for both courses/6 credit hours. Checks are payable to Central Michigan University, or applicants may provide credit card information by calling Student
Account Services/OneCentral at (989) 774-3618
By Mail or on-campus delivery:
Student Account Services/OneCentral
Bovee UC 119
Mount Pleasant, MI 48859
Upon receiving approval to take the examination(s), the student will receive an email to their CMICH account with information on how to access the online examination(s). Students are expected to take the exam(s) within two weeks of receiving the approval email. The exam(s) must be completed within the semester they are requested/approved.
A total of up to 6 credit hours can be earned by successfully completing these exams.
Each examination will consist of 5 essay questions. Screenshots or screencasts may be required for some questions. A score of 73% (11/15 correct answers) or better is required to pass each exam. Please allow two weeks for grading.
In the event a score of 73% is not earned on the first attempt, the student will be allowed to take the exam again. If a score of 73% is not obtained on the second attempt, the student will be required to earn the credits through the completion of coursework available through the MALDT program.
Credits earned through completion of the CBE process will be posted to the student's record within approximately three weeks. CR or NC will be posted on the transcript. A letter grade will not be awarded.
Students will NOT be eligible for the NP endorsement after earning credits by exam for the MALDT program.