Program Mission and Goals MSAT
Athletic Training program mission statement
The mission of the athletic training program is to serve as a student-focused learning community, committed to being a leader in developing highly qualified, culturally-competent athletic trainers who advance the profession through excellence in patient-centered evidence-based clinical decision making; scholarship, leadership, and service.
Athletic Training program goals
- Provide innovative and active learning opportunities.
- Instill students with a strong commitment to provide quality patient-centered care.
- Encourage collaboration between students, faculty, and healthcare professionals through educational, creative, and scholarly activities.
- Foster lifelong learning for future and present athletic trainers.
- Develop leaders and responsible citizens.
Athletic Training program learning goals
- Experience innovative and active learning opportunities through participation in the classroom, instructional laboratory, and experiential learning environments.
- Display a strong commitment to providing culturally competent and patient-centered athletic training services to patients needing care.
- Participate in variety of activities with faculty, clinical instructors, healthcare professionals, and other students which promote collaboration and leadership skills.
- Participate in local, regional, national, or international activities promoting athletic training.
- Participate in professional activities to foster their growth as a future interdisciplinary healthcare professional.
- Express in writing, speaking, and/or other modes of communication a variety of viewpoints and methods of inquiry.
- Identify issues, recognize the perspective of others, and work effectively to formulate solutions and evaluate the consequences of the solutions.
- Develop sound principles of evidence-based practice by gathering information from a variety of sources, using information in an appropriate manner to address issues and taking action in an ethical manner to maximize patient outcomes.
- Proficiently perform the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) of an entry-level athletic trainer as identified by the most recent Board of Certification Practice Analysis.
- Engage in creative and scholarly efforts leading to the creation and dissemination of knowledge which improves patient care and advances in healthcare.
Student learning outcomes
1. Injury and Illness Prevention and Wellness Promotion
- The student will be able to promote healthy lifestyle behaviors with effective education and communication to enhance wellness and minimize the risk of injury and illness.
2. Examination, Assessment, and Diagnosis
- The student will be able to implement systematic, evidence-based examinations and assessments to formulate valid clinical diagnoses and determine patients' plan of care.
3. Immediate and Emergency Care
- The student will be able to integrate best practices in immediate and emergency care for optimal outcomes.
4. Therapeutic Intervention
- The student will be able to rehabilitate and recondition injuries, illnesses, and general medical conditions with the goal of achieving optimal activity level based on core concepts using the applications of therapeutic exercise, modality devices, and manual techniques.
5. Healthcare Administration and Professional Responsibility
- The student will be able to integrate best practices in policy construction and implementation, documentation, and basic practices to promote optimal patient care and employee well-being.
6. Social and Cultural Sensitivity
- The student will be able to identify the various social and cultural attitudes, beliefs, and values regarding health care practices and apply techniques for culturally sensitive communication when providing care.
7. Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
- The student will be able to apply critical reasoning and problem solving skills in clinical situations.
- The student will be able to competently evaluate scientific research in the healthcare field and apply evidence-based practice.
9. Ethical Standards
- The student will be able to apply ethical standards and principles associated with the athletic training scope of practice and apply those principles in professional practices.