Honors Program Admission for Current and Transfer Students
The Honors Program is seeking talented, passionate and committed current and transfer students to engage in the transformative educational experiences our program offers.
Honors Program Track II Admission
If you are a second semester first-year student or beyond, this is the track for you!
Frequently asked questions
Can current students and transfer students apply to the Honors Program?
- Yes! Each year the Honors Program reserves space for a number of current and transfer students to be admitted through the Honors Program Track II admission process. Students can be eligible to apply as early as the spring semester of their freshman
What is the Honors Program Admission criteria for current and transfer students?
- Honors Program Track II applicants must have a cumulative college GPA of 3.25 or higher and complete the Track II Honors Program Application. Holistic evaluation of applicants will include emphasis on academic strengths and potential, leadership and
involvement, community engagement, critical thinking and creativity, passion and commitment, and alignment with Honors Program core values.
When can current and transfer students apply to the Honors Program?
- For priority consideration for Fall 2023 admission, students can submit the Honors Program Track II Admission Application to the Honors Program Office via email at email@example.com. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until August 15, 2023, or until the incoming class is full.
What requirements must current and transfer Honors students complete in order to graduate from the Honors Program?
- Complete HON 300 (3), Introduction to Honors, during first fall semester of student's first year in the Honors program.
- Complete an HON-designator Honors seminar course (3).
- Complete at least 9 additional credits of Honors coursework before graduation from Central Michigan University, (in addition to HON 499). Honors coursework is defined as HON classes, H-designated classes, and Honors Contracts successfully completed. Honors Contracts may be used to fulfill a maximum of 6 of these 9 credits, with the approval of the Honors Director.
- To enhance exposure to cultural diversity (the study of a cultural aspect substantially different than one's own culture either in or outside the United States for college credit), complete a minimum of 3-4 credit hours of the following at the college level: Study Abroad courses for college credit; HON 309, Honors Global Diversity; Foreign Language Courses; American Sign Language Courses; and/or Honors Cultural Diversity courses approved by the Honors Council.
- Complete 90 service hours during one's time at CMU.
- Complete an Honors Senior Project and simultaneously enroll in HON 499 (3).
- Students must maintain a cumulative CMU grade point average of 3.25 to remain active in and graduate from the Honors Program.
- Students are required to earn a grade of at least “B-” in all H, HON, or Honors Contract courses.
- An Honors course may not be counted in more than one area of the Protocol.
Is there an Honors scholarship for admitted current and transfer students in the Honors Program?
- At this time, specific scholarships tied to Honors admission are not available for Track II applicants. However, we have been able to provide some support for study abroad, and Honors courses that require domestic travel. A limited number of small
Honors Program scholarships are available to sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are active in the Honors Program. Students are encouraged to consult their academic department, colleges, and Scholarship Universe for additional scholarship opportunities.
Is Honors housing available for current, transfer, and international students applying through Track II admissions?
- If you are interested in joining the Honors living learning community, please contact the Honors Program office.