Office of International Affairs

Checklists and Deadlines

​​A downloadable version of the checklist is available here.
  • Thoroughly complete and submit your online application
  • Have your official transcripts sent to CMU

    Transcripts of all the secondary and postsecondary schools you have attended must include official English translations. Official transcripts must be sent directly by your school or university to the Office of International Affairs at CMU.

    If you wish to transfer courses taken at universities or colleges outside of the U.S. you also are required get your credits evaluated by Educational Credit Evaluators or World Education Services. The evaluation is not required for admission, but if you wish to transfer credit and not retake courses, we will need the results of this evaluation before those credits can be transferred.

  • Submit proof of your proficiency in the English language

    If your native language is not English, you must demonstrate your English language competency. You can do this by submitting an official report from one of the following English competency tests:

    • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)

      Regular admission requires a score at or above 79 ibt, 213 cbt, 550 pbt

      Dual admission requires scores between 61 - 78 ibt, 173 - ​210 cbt, 500 - 547 pbt

    • International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

      Regular admission requires a score at or above 6.5

      Dual admission requires a minimum score of 5.0

    If you have not taken an English competency test or your score falls below the requirement for regular admission, you may apply to our undergraduate Bridge Program or to the English Language Institute (ELI). Upon arrival to Central you will be required to take the English Language Institute placement test before enrolling for classes.

  • Submit your financial statement if you require an I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility

    Complete the financial support form that is part of the application and provide the supporting documents. The bank statement must be an original document that is less than 12 months old. If you have been awarded a scholarship from your government or another institution, include an original document confirming the value of the scholarship and all its conditions.

    Financial support must be demonstrated for a nine-month period, even if the applicant plans to study fewer than nine months, as indicated on the cost information sheet. A limited number of merit-based scholarships are available to international undergraduate students; however, financial aid in the form of loans or other grants are not available from Central Michigan University for international undergraduate students.

    The I-20 or DS-2019 (Visa eligibility form) will not be issued until the Office of International Affairs​ receives the required financial support information.

  • Submit your $35 (USD) application fee payable by check or credit card

    After we have received all your required documents, you will receive notification of admission and an admissions packet within approximately three weeks. (Note: Due to a large volume of applications, processing time may take longer).