The Department of Communication and Dramatic Arts values internship opportunities. If a student is interested in receiving academic credit for an internship the student must meet the following criteria:
- have junior or senior standing at CMU
- be an IPC/COM major or minor
- have a minimum 2.7 overall grade point average at CMU
- have passed IPC/COM 251 and IPC/COM 301 with a "C" or better
Any student who meets these criteria and is interested in participating in the internship program must:
- make an appointment with
Dr. Michael Papa, the Internship
- bring CMU transcripts (may be an unofficial copy of student transcripts)
Students typically have questions that focus on the following four areas:
- Location. Students are encouraged to participate in internships with local
Mt. Pleasant businesses, on CMU's campus, organizations throughout
Michigan, and out of state.
- Length. Internships are available year round. The internships generally
last for 15 weeks, depending on the type of organization and the
availability of the student. Other arrangements can be made to vary
the number of weeks.
- Credits. The number of credits varies according to the type of
internship, the student, and the needs of the organization in which
the internship is being completed.
- Wages. Financial compensation depends solely on the supervising
organization. The amount is strictly a matter between the intern and the
Grading of the Internship Experience
Students receive a grade when enrolling in the internship class. The intern will create a portfolio. The portfolio includes journal entries, a description of the internship position and an evaluation form to be filled out by the intern's job supervisor. Twenty-five percent of the grade is based on the supervisor's assessments. The other 75% is based on the student's portfolio. It should be understood that participation in an internship alone does not warrant a letter grade of an "A".