founding in 1892, more than 140,000 students have received their degree from
CMU. Graduates from the department of Communication and Dramatic Arts
span the globe, successfully putting their education to use
in all aspects of their lives.
Over 7,000 Communication and Dramatic Arts alumni reside across all 50 states and in several foreign countries.
Developed using CMU Alumni database records and mapping
software provided by Heatmapper.
Notable Alumni and Alumni Voices
- Congratulations to Dr. Devika Chawla, a graduate of Central Michigan University's Communication MA program and of Purdue University's doctoral program, who has been honored with the Graduate Student Senate Outstanding Graduate Faculty Award. This award recognizes a faculty member who exemplifies scholarship, civility, and mentorship, and who is an integral member of the graduate faculty at Ohio University. As a result of receiving this honor, Dr. Chawla will be speaking at the 2018 Ohio University Commencement.
- Jaime Samson is a freelance Costume Technician, Dress and Freelance Designer. He is currently a dresser for the Tony Award-nominated Broadway musical, Groundhog Day. Jaime was mentioned in a June 5th article in The New York Times about the backstage challenges of the costume changes for the production. Read the article, here.
- Phil Powers, CMU University Theatre alum and professional actor, was selected as a Notable Alumni. You can read about Phil's story, here.
- Check out the CCFA Alumni Voices web page for feature stories on the following alumni:
Actor, Writer, Comedian
'02, '05 Communication
COM Conferences and COM Connect Newsletter
Communications faculty, graduate Assistants and students will be attending periodic Communication Association activities and conventions across the U.S. If you're in attendance, please look us up! Also, be sure to checkout the latest issue of the COM Connect Newsletter, here.
Elizabeth Carlson catches up with a COM alum at the Central States
Communication Association conference.
CDA Alumni Updates
- Kevin Neuman has just been hired as the Assistant Technical Director for the Michigan Opera Theatre – Detroit Opera House.
- Michael Knight will be playing the role of Aaron in the upcoming production of First Date at The Abbey in Orlando. First Date opens on September 14th and will run through September 30th. Tickets and information are available at http://abbeyorlando.com/events/first-date.
- Kyle Burch will be performing in Bright Star Theatre’s educational tour during September and October. Information about Bright Star and specific performances can be found at http://www.brightstartheatre.com
- Kendrah McKay is currently appearing in the Pacific Resident Theatre's production of Eugene Ionesco's Rhinoceros in Venice, California. Rhinoceros opened July 15th and runs through Sunday, September 10th. Tickets and information are available at https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?ticketing=prtve.
- Jason Pintar has been nominated for Outstanding Actor in a Featured Role by the New York Innovative Theatre Awards for his work as Kevin (Lucky) in Duncan Pflaster’s The Underpants Godot. The production ran at The Secret Theatre last fall. The production was also nominated for Outstanding Premiere Production of a Play.
- Conor Hall will be playing the role of Ivan Bezdomny in The Russian Arts Theatre production of Mikhail Bulgakov's, The Master and Margarita, Or, The Devil Comes to Moscow. The production opens August 18th and runs through September 9th at West End Theatre, 263 W 86th Street in New York. Tickets and information are available at http://russiantheater.org.
- Michael Idlaski will be serving as the Music/Production Assistant for Numbers Nerds that will be performed at the New York Musical Festival. Numbers Nerds opens July 19th and runs through July 23rd. Tickets and information are available at http://www.nymf.org/festival/2017-events/numbers-nerds.
- Phil Powers and Andrew Papa have been nominated for the 2017 Wilde Awards. Phil Powers was nominated in the category of Best Performance – Original Production or One-Act for his performance in Clutter at TheatreNova. Andrew Papa was nominated in the category of Best Performance, Supporting Actor—Play for his performance in Alabama Story with UDM Theatre Company. The winners of the Wilde Awards will be announced at the award ceremony on August 28th. Information is available at http://www.encoremichigan.com/2017/07/2017-wilde-award-nominations-2.
- Michael Idlaski and Lisa Lull, will be performing in the cabaret show, I Wish I Could Go Back to College at Davenport’s Piano Bar in the Wicker Park neighborhood in Chicago. The show will be performed Monday, June 12th at 8:00 pm. Reservations and information are available at http://davenportspianobar.com/events/michael-idalski-2/.
- Chris Burch recently graduated with his MFA in Acting from Western Illinois University.
- Chelsea Wietfeldt will be playing the role of Mrs. McGlone in The Unsinkable Molly Brown at the Jackson Hole Playhouse in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. The Unsinkable Molly Brown opens June 2nd and will run through September 20th. Once again, Chelsea will be appearing as Cheyenne Rose in the Jackson Hole Town Square Shoot Out and as a singing Saloon Girl at the Saddle Rock Saloon. For tickets, info, and other events visit www.jhplayhouse.com or call 307.733.6994.
We're interested in your story and hope you'll take advantage of one of the opportunities below to share, and reconnect with faculty, staff and friends from your past.
- Call us at 989-774-3177 or send us an email
- Reach out to your favorite faculty (current list)
- Drop by and see us at 333 Moore Hall
- The CMU Alumni Association
Theatre faculty and alumni got together in Chicago recently.