If you've dreamed of a future in theatre and dance, then why not follow your passion to CMU? Our Theatre, Interpretation and Dance program brings together a strong curriculum, dynamic faculty with diverse backgrounds, great facilities, and numerous opportunities to participate in productions starting in your freshman year. Students may choose a B.A./B.S. degree with a Theatre and Interpretation major, a B.F.A. with concentrations in Acting/Directing or Design/Technical Theatre, or an interdisciplinary B.F.A. in Music Theatre. The Dance minor is also very popular, and dual major opportunities also exist to allow students to earn two degrees in different fields.
Theatre, Interpretation and Dance highlights
- Close interaction with experienced professional faculty who are focused on your success
- Numerous opportunities to get involved: a six-production main-stage season, summer theatre tour, and many studio theatre, dance company, improv troupe and music theatre productions
- Strong curriculum with a variety of available courses
- Undergraduate focus allows greater potential for on-stage and back-stage involvement early in your college experience
- Quality production, classroom, technical and support facilities
- Exposure to professional guest artists who participate as workshop hosts, playwrights, guest lecturers, designers and engage in special performances. Recent examples include: a dance residency by Jump Rhythm Jazz Project, a professional guest director, a set designer, an improv workshop hosted by CMU alumnus Larry Joe Campbell, a professional theatre administrator, playwrights, and lighting experts
- Trips to attend plays at regional professional theatres, with time set aside to meet with cast, tech crew and administration for discussion
- The opportunity to compete in regional and national events, and participate in national theatre organization events
- National network of successful alumni
- The opportunity to join Alpha Psi Omega, the national honorary theatre fraternity
- Diverse career and educational opportunities available upon graduation
Explore CMU Theatre
International Network of Alumni
Over 7,000 Communication and Dramatic Arts alumni are employed across all 50 states and several foreign countries. Theatre alumni keep in touch regularly, with dozens of updates coming in annually and posted on our alumni and social media sites.
Developed using CMU Alumni database records and mapping
software provided by Heatmapper.
Get Started Today!