The Integrative Public Relations Major is a new and exciting interdisciplinary major in the College of Communication and Fine Arts (CCFA). A joint effort of three departments, Broadcast and Cinematic Arts (BCA), Journalism (JRN) and Communication and Dramatic Arts (CDA), resulted in the creation of this comprehensive program designed to prepare students for promising careers in public relations.
The core and electives in the program were carefully selected based on extensive research examining public relations programs in the mid-west, surveying leading Michigan public relations practitioners and integrating competency areas outlined by the Public Relations Society of America. This program has been endorsed by many Michigan public relations professionals and has generated excitement statewide. It has also been featured in PR Week, a national publication. Highlights of the major include:
- An opportunity to create a program of study reflecting the student's career goals:
- A comprehensive core containing coursework from Broadcast and Cinematic Arts,
- Journalism, and Communication and Dramatic Arts;
- A complimentary range of course work from areas such as Business, Sociology, Management, Philosophy, Entrepreneurship and Political Science;
- A 6-hour public relations internship; and
- The option to minor in an additional area of study to further enhance the student's career goals.
For common IPR program questions and answers, please see IPR FAQs. Courses in the major are outlined on the IPR Advising Worksheet.