Director of Music Events
John Jacobson comes to Central Michigan most recently from the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, where he was assistant dean for operations and technology, including responsibility for all concert productions.
Prior to Oberlin, John was chairman of the music division at Interlochen Arts Academy and instructor of horn both at the Academy and the Music Camp. While at Interlochen, he was recognized nationally for his teaching by the presidential scholars in the arts (ARTS) music panel.
Mr. Jacobson performed with the orchestras of Grand Rapids, Flint, Saginaw, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Toledo, OH and Springfield, MA. He also enjoyed an extensive chamber music career while at Interlochen, performing in venues such as Hill Auditorium in Ann Arbor, Avery Fisher in New York, The Kennedy Center in Washington, and many others. John is a graduate of the University of Michigan School of Music, where he was a concerto winner.
- Coordinates, schedules, and manages all School of Music alumni and development events
- Works with the School of Music office staff and Office of Public Relations and Marketing to design, produce, and distribute public relations items, including programs, flyers, newsletters, event calendars, and brochures
- Organizes, staffs, and supervises School of Music displays and events at on and off-campus conferences and workshops.
- Manages and coordinates facility usage and related budgets within the School of Music
- Develops and monitors policies for scheduling and space utilization
- Participates in efforts to secure external funding for music events, including grant writing and development