Manager, Audio Production and Music Technology
Scott Burgess was appointed Audio Production Manager in July of 1999 and Manager of Audio Production and Music Technology in 2005. He came to Mount Pleasant from Cleveland, Ohio, where he was the owner of Eagle's Wing Music Company, which specialized in audio recording and sound systems for churches and arts organizations across the Midwest. In the summer of 2011, he was engaged as a Senior Audio Engineer at the Aspen Music Festival.
Burgess graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Music with a degree in bassoon performance and audio recording. Following a two-year position as contrabassoonist for the Memphis Symphony Orchestra, he went to work for Commercial Recording Studios of Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked with clients such as Sherwin-Williams, Cedar Point, and BP. While at Commercial Recording, Burgess began to work with Telarc International, the renowned audiophile recording company based in Beachwood, Ohio. He then became Technical Assistant for Telarc, working with their production staff on over 80 recordings.
As an engineer, editor, technical assistant, bassoonist, and singer, Burgess has collaborated with artists ranging from Andre Watts, Robert Shaw, Gunther Schuller, and David Schifrin to Erich Kunzel, Dave Brubeck, Bobby Short, and Stephane Grapelli. He has performed with or recorded the orchestras of Atlanta, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Evansville, Kalamazoo, Louisville, Memphis, the Sphinx Virtuosi, and the Spoleto and Aspen Festivals.
- Manages all operational aspects of the Audio Production studio including:
- Assistance in planning and purchasing, and supervision of the installation of audio and recording facilities in the music building
- responsible for managing maintenance and upgrading of those audio and recording facilities
- Recording all faculty recitals and student ensemble concerts
- Development of policies and procedures for the studio
- Training, scheduling, and supervision of student recording assistants
- Audio-related assistance to music faculty