Available to on-campus and online students, faculty, and staff, the Presentation Skills Center offers individual or group consultations and practice sessions. Clients have the opportunity to record and analyze their speeches, and detailed feedback is made available during the session.
There is no charge for this service, which is provided by CMU's Department of Communication and Dramatic Arts.
The Power of Public Speaking:
The ability to present ideas effectively is a skill set important for securing employment, advancing one's career, and being an empowered citizen. The consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center are here to help individuals with every aspect of the speechmaking process, from selecting a topic and identifying one's audience to organizing ideas, conducting research, providing supporting evidence, and practicing delivery.
Consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center will…
- Brainstorm ideas and provide feedback on your potential speech topics.
- Help with the development of an argument tailored to your audience.
- Assist you with suggestions for the development, organization, style, or clarity of a draft speech outline.
- Offer strategies for managing communication apprehension and speech phobia.
- Provide suggestions for researching topics and finding evidence to support your argument.
- Assist you with quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, and responding to sources.
- Consult with you as you revise and polish your speech.
- Help you to record your speech.
- Provide helpful feedback for improving your speech.
Our goal is a collaboration in which we offer ideas and suggestions to help speakers in the process of developing, researching, and polishing their speeches.