Available to on and off-campus students of all majors, the Presentation Skills Center offers one-on-one consultations and practice sessions. Detailed feedback is made available to students during their session and students have the opportunity to record and analyze their speeches.
There is no charge for this service, which is provided by CMU's Department of Communication and Dramatic Arts.
The Power of Public Speaking:
The ability to present ideas effectively is a skill set important for securing employment, advancing one's career, and being an empowered citizen. The consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center are here to help individuals with every aspect of the speechmaking process, from selecting a topic and identifying one's audience to organizing ideas, conducting research, providing supporting evidence, and practicing delivery.
Consultants at CMU's Presentation Skills Center will…
- Brainstorm ideas and provide feedback on your potential speech topics.
- Help with the development of an argument tailored to your audience.
- Assist you with suggestions for the development, organization, style, or clarity of a draft speech outline.
- Offer strategies for managing communication apprehension.
- Provide suggestions for researching topics and finding evidence to support your argument.
- Assist you with quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, and responding to sources.
- Consult with you as you revise and polish your speech.
- Help you to record your speech.
- Provide helpful feedback for improving your speech.
Our goal is to collaborate with you to offer ideas and suggestions to help speakers in the process of developing, researching, and polishing their speeches.