- Position: Associate Professor
- Department: School of Health Sciences, Exercise and Health Sciences Division
- Campus Address: Health Professions Building 1174
- Phone: 989-774-2927
- Alternate Phone: 989-774-3541
- Email: email@example.com
- Area(s) of Expertise: -Insulin Resistance
HSC 503: Health Implications of Obesity
HSC 638: Endocrine and Metabolic Responses to Exercise
Degrees and Universities
Bachelor of Science, Queens University (2001). Biology
Bachelor of Physical Health Education, Queens University (2001). Exercise Physiology
Masters of Science, Case Western Reserve University (2004). Exercise Physiology
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University (2007). Nutrition
Post-Doctoral Training, University of Michigan (2010). Muscle Biology
American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Diabetes Association
American Physiological Society
American Heart Association
Michigan Physiological Society
Aging leads to an increased prevalence of several pathologies that are linked to insulin resistance including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and neurological disorders. Dr. Sharma’s lab is interested in understanding the molecular mechanisms that lead to age-associated insulin resistance, and how interventions such as diet and exercise may slow this consequence of aging.
Peer-Reviewed Publications (most recent 5)
1. Roth J, Szczygiel T, Moore M, O'Connor P, Edwards J, Sharma N, Pettit-Mee R, Zuhl M. Profiling inflammatory markers during the competitive season and post season in collegiate wrestlers. J Strength Cond Res. 2017 Dec 11. doi: 10.1519/JSC.0000000000002360. [Epub ahead of print].
2. Sharma N, Arias EB, and Cartee GD. Inhibition of Akt2 phosphorylation abolishes the calorie restriction-induced improvement in insulin-stimulated glucose uptake by rat soleus muscle. Appl Phys Nutr Metab 41: 1208-11, 2016.
3. Sessions J, Bourbeau K, Rosinski M, Szczygiel T, Nelson R, Sharma N, and Zuhl MN. The effects of carbohydrate gel ingestion during running in the heat on markers of gastrointestinal damage and plasma cytokines. Eur J Sport Sci 3: 1-9, 2016.
4. Wang H, Sharma N, Arias EB, and Cartee GD. Insulin signaling and glucose uptake in the soleus muscle of 30-month-old rats after calories restriction with or without acute exercise. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 71: 323-32, 2016.
5. Castorena CM, Arias EB, Sharma N, and Cartee GD. Effects of a brief high fat diet and acute exercise on the MTORC1 and IKK/NF-κB pathway in rat skeletal muscle. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 40: 251-62, 2015.