- Position: Assistant Professor
- Department: Speech-Language Pathology
- Campus Address: Health Professions Building 2169
- Phone: 989-774-7304
- Email: email@example.com
- CSD 230 Introduction to Speech, Language, and Hearing Disorders
- SLP 638 Seminar: Adult and Pediatric Swallowing and Feeding Disorders
- SLP 639 Hypopharyngeal Visualization
- SLP 713 Voice/Resonance Disorders/Laryngectomee Rehabilitation
- SLP 714 Motor Speech Disorders
Degrees and UniversitiesB.HSc., Western University 2006M.CI.Sc., Western University 2008Ph.D., Western University 2016
- American Speech-Language Hearing Association, Special Interest Groups: 13 Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders, 15 Gerontology
- College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario
- Speech-Language and Audiology Canada
- International Association of Dental Research
- American Geriatrics Society
Affoo, R.H., Trottier, K., Garrick, R., Mascarenhas, T., Su Jang, Y., Martin, R.E. The effects of tooth brushing on whole salivary flow rates in healthy older adults. BioMed Research International 2018.
Ho, A.K., Affoo, R.H., Rogus-Pulia, N., Nicosia, M., Inamoto, Y., Saitoh, E., Green, S., Fels, S. Inferring the effects of saliva on liquid bolus flow using computer simulation. Computers in Biology and Medicine 89:304-313, 2017.
Foley, N.C., Affoo, R.H., Siqueira, W., Martin, R.E. A systematic review examining the oral health status of persons with dementia. Journal of Dental Research – Clinical and Translational Research 2(4):330-342, 2017.
Toogood, J.A., Smith, R.C., Stevens, T.K., Gati, J.S., Menon, R.S., Theurer, J., Weisz, S., Affoo, R.H., Martin, R.E. Swallowing preparation and execution: Insights from a delayed-response functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) study. Dysphagia 32(4):526-541, 2017.
Toogood, J.A., Smith, R.C., Stevens, T.K., Gati, J.S., Menon, R.S., Theurer, J., Weisz, S., Affoo, R.H., & Martin, R.E. (2016). Swallowing Preparation and Execution: Insights from a Delayed-Response Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) Study. Dysphagia (submitted).
Affoo, R.H., Foley, N., Garrick, R., Siqueira, W.L., & Martin, R.E. (2015). A Meta-Analysis of Salivary Flow Rates in Young and Older Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 63(10), 2142-51.
Abe, K., Weisz, S.E.M., Dunn, R.L., DiGioacchino, M.C., Nyentap, J.A., Stanbouly, S., Theurer, J.A., Bureau, Y., Affoo, R.H., & Martin, R.E. (2015). Occurrences of Yawn and Swallow are Temporally Related. Dysphagia. 30(1), 57-66.
Foley, N., Affoo, R.H., & Martin, R.E. (2014). A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis Examining Pneumonia-Associated Mortality in Dementia. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders. 39, 52-67.
Affoo, R.H., Foley, N., Rosenbek, J., Shoemaker, J.K., & Martin, R.E. (2013). Swallowing Dysfunction and Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction in Alzheimer’s Disease: A Scoping Review of the Evidence. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 61(12), 2203-2213.
Affoo, R.H., Dasgupta, M., & Martin R.E. (2012). Dysphagia in Delirium. Two Case Studies [letter to the editor]. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 60(10), 1975-6.
Research AreasDr. Affoo's research focuses on the following two areas: 1) characterizing key elements of oropharyngeal swallowing, oral health, and salivary secretion in persons with and without Alzheimer's disease; and 2) developing and implementing evidence-based teaching and learning practices in a graduate speech-language pathology program.