This minor is designed for the Exercise Science major (Clinical Exercise Science or Kinesiology options) or Athletic Training majors preparing to work in the fitness or sports performance industry and intending to obtain certifications available in the field of health fitness, e.g., personal training, health fitness professional and strength and conditioning.
Note: Exercise Science majors selecting the Health Fitness Option man not minor in Health Fitness.
Admissions Requirements, Retention & Termination Standards
Students intending to minor in Health Fitness must meet the following requirements:
- Achieve a grade of C (2.0), or better, for each graded HSC course on the minor;
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.5, and a GPA of 2.8 for all classes on the minor.
Required Courses (13 hours)
- HSC 219 - Exercise Conditioning for Health Fitness Professionals 2 (0-3)
- HSC 420 - Health Fitness Assessment 3 (2-3)
- HSC 421 - Personal Training 3 (2-3)
- HSC 423 - Practicum in Personal Training 2 (1-3)
- HSC 425 - Health Fitness Program Administration Management 3 (3-0)
Electives (11 hours)
Select in consultation with an advisor:
- FNS 375 - Nutrition and Performance 3 (3-0)
- HSC 424 - Practicum in Health Fitness 2 (0-6)
- HSC 503 - Health Implications of Obesity 3 (3-0)
- HSC 505 - Work Injury Prevention 3 (3-0)
- MKT 221/ENT221 - Marketing Strategies for Entrepreneurs 3 (3-0)
- PES 338 - Teaching Aerobics 2 (2-0)
- PES 485 - Theoretical Foundations of Strength and Conditioning 3 (3-0)
Total: 24 semester hours