The school health education minor will lead to a recommendation for certification in health education for grades 6 - 12. You may teach students a variety of topics such as nutrition, personal growth, substance abuse prevention, first aid, environmental health, physical fitness, human sexuality, and disease prevention and control.
The student must meet the following requirements:
- Prior to declaring the minor, the student must have an overall GPA of 2.5, a 2.6 GPA for a minimum of 6 semester credit hours in HSC classes.
- Must maintain a 2.7 GPA for all classes on major and minor.
- Must have successfully completed, or be concurrently taking, HSC 222 OR HSC 223 OR HSC 224 before taking HSC 340.
- Have a combined GPA of 2.6 for HSC 340 and 346 before student teaching.
- Achieve a grade of C or better, for each HSC class.
Required Courses (24 hours)
- HSC 106QR- Healthy Lifestyles 3(2-1)
- HSC 222- Sexuality in Health Education 3(3-0)
- HSC 223- Basic Health Concepts I 3(3-0)
- HSC 224- Basic Health Concepts II 3(3-0)
- HSC 340- Curriculum & Planning School Health Programs 3(3-0)
- HSC 346- Methods in School Health Education 3(3-0)
- HSC 413- Professional Aspects in School Health 3(2-1)
- HSC 536- Health Education Assessment 3(3-0)
Total: 24 Semester Hours