- Position: Assistant Professor
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Department: School of Health Sciences
- Division: Community Health Division, Master of Public Health
- Campus Address: 2239 Health Professions Building
- Phone: 989-774-3909
- Fax: 989-774-2908
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
MPH646: Epidemiology for Public Health
MPH650: Biological Basics of Public Health
MPH667: Maternal and Child Health
Degrees and Universities
Bachelor of Science (Honours): National University
Certificate: Core Public Health,
University of North Carolina
Master of Science:
Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of New South Wales,
Master of Science: Community Health, University Putra Malaysia
Postdoctoral fellow: Epidemiology & Public
Health, University of Putra Malaysia
& Health Care, University of British Columbia
Ph.D.: Obstetrics & Gynecology, University of New South Wale
American Public Health Association
Women’s Health Research Institute at BC Women’s
The Medical Women’s International Association
Cochrane Collaboration Trainers Network
International Society of Twin Studies
Dr. Jahanfar is a reproductive epidemiologist with grounding in public health and biostatistics. Her research focuses on reproductive health, women and children health, and genetic versus environment studies. She has established a number of twin studies in Australia, Malaysia, and Canada. She has conducted several epidemiological studies and produced over 15 systematic reviews in the areas of HIV/AIDS, domestic violence, family planning, ultrasound screening and breast-feeding. She is an international Cochrane trainer, has conducted over 20 Cochrane workshops/webinar series on standard author training and trained over 400 clinicians and scientists. She has over 60 peer-reviewed publications including Nature Perinatology, Fertility & Sterility, Cochrane library, and Journal of Fetal and Maternal Medicine. She is currently working towards conducting several twin studies, a randomized controlled trial and a longitudinal study all related to reproductive health and reproductive behavior at national and international levels. She is interested to work with interested students and researchers for potential collaboration.
- Krewski D., Barakat-Haddad C., Donnan J., Martino R., Pringsheim T., Tremlett H,.., Jahanfar S., MacDonald D., (2017) Determinants of neurological disease: Synthesis of systematic reviews. special issue of Neurotoxicology, Public Health Agency of Canada's National Population Health Study of Neurological Conditions (in press)
- Jahanfar S., Jaffar S., Ho Jackie. (2017) The Diagnostic Accuracy of Ultrasound for Diagnosis of Birth Weight Discordance and Sex Discordance in Twin Pregnancies. Cochrane Systematic Review (Protocol approved).
- Jahanfar S., Lim, K., Oviedo-Joekes E. (2016) Optimal threshold for birth weight discordance, Journal of Perinatology, 00, 1-9. doi:10.1038/jp.2016.82, 12 May 2016
- Jahanfar S., Lim K. (2016) The impact of gender on anthropometric measures of twins, Twin Research and Human Genetics, 19(6):652-658.
- Shahbazian H., Nouhjah S., Shahbazian N., Jahanfar S., Latifi SM, Aleali A, Shahbazian N, Saadati N. (2016) Gestational diabetes mellitus in an Iranian pregnant population using IADPSG criteria: Incidence, contributing factors and outcomes. Diabetes Metab Syndr. 10(4):242-246
- McKay K., Jahanfar S., Duggan T., Tkachuk S. Tremlett H. (2016) Factors associated with onset, relapses or progression in multiple sclerosis: A Systematic Review, Journal of Neuro toxicology. doi: 10.1016/j.neuro.2016.03.020.
- Shahbazian H., Nouhjah S., Jahanfar S., Nasiri M.(2015) Recall for postpartum follow-up of women with gestational diabetes mellitus: Climbing a mountain, J Diabetes Metab Disord.; 15: 20.
- Jahanfar S., Lim, K. (2014) A systematic review of birth weight discordance, Journal of Fetal and Maternal Medicine Review, 25(3-4):232-262.
- Jahanfar S. (2014) Fetal origin hypothesis and reproductive health of twins. The Journal of Maternal-fetal and Neonatal Medicine, 27(S1): 1-437.
- Farrokh-Eslamlou H., Jahanfar S., Alizadeh S. (2014) Structured versus routine family planning counselling for contraception. Cochrane systematic Protocol. Number 0093.
- Jahanfar S., Sharifeh H. J. (2012) Malaysian Twin Registry. Twin Research and Human Genetic. doi:10.1017/thg.2012.80.
- Namvar F., Faathi T., Jahanfar S., Asadi R. (2013) Ginseng for improving quality of life in cancer patients. Gynecological Cancer Group. Cochran Systematic Protocol.
- Jahanfar S. (2012) Genetic and Environmental Determinants of Menstrual Characteristics. Indian Journal of Human Genetics, 18, 2: 187-194.
- Jahanfar S., Howard L., Medley N. (2014) Interventions for preventing or reducing domestic violence against pregnant women. Cochran Systematic Review. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD009414.
- Abedi P., Jahanfar S., Namvar F. (2012) Breast stimulation for reducing blood loss in third stage of labor. Cochrane Systematic Protocol. 0558.
- Jahanfar S., Munn-Sann-Lye, Krischnarajah S. (2012). Genetic and environmental effects on age at menarche, and its relationship with reproductive health in twins. Twin Research and Human Genetics 18, 2: 187-194.
- Jahanfar S. (2102) Twins Co-bedding at home, parents' perspective, sleeping pattern and developmental milestones. Shiraz e-Medical Journal, 13(1): 13-18.
- Jahanfar S., Munn-Sann-Lye, Krischnarajah S. (2011). The heritability of premenstrual syndrome. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 14(5): 433-436.
- Jaafar S. H., Jahanfar S., Angolkar M., & Ho, J. J. (2011). Pacifier use versus no pacifier use in breastfeeding-term infants for increasing duration of breastfeeding. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD007202.pub3.
- Htwe T. T., Karim N., Wong J., Jahanfar S., & Mansur, M. A. (2010). Differential expression of galectin-3 in advancing thyroid cancer cells: A clue toward understanding tumour progression and metastasis. Singapore Medical Journal, 51(11), 856-859.
- Jahanfar S., Malekzadegan Z. (2007). The prevalence of domestic violence among pregnant women who were attended in Iran University of medical science hospitals. Journal of Family Violence, 22(8), 643-648.
- Htwe, T. T., Jahanfar S., Karim, N., Ahmad, M. M. (2009). Evaluation on the immuno-marker profile of thyroid malignancy. University of Kuala Lumpur Research Journal, 2(1), 23.
- Jahanfar S., Sadat-Hashemi M., Ramazani T. F. (2002). The incidence of early complications of menopausal women, Tehran. Journal of Fertility and Infertility, 3(3), 12-17.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A., Nguyen T., Wang X. L., Wilcken D. E. (1997). A twin study of polycystic ovary syndrome and lipids. Gynecological Endocrinology: The Official Journal of the International Society of Gynecological Endocrinology, 11(2), 111-117.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A. (1996). Genetic and non-genetic theories on the etiology of polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecological Endocrinology, 10(5), 357-364.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A., Nguyent T. V. (1995). Bulimia nervosa and polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecological Endocrinology, 9(2), 113-117.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A., Warren, P., Seppala, M., & Nguyen, T. V. (1995). A twin study of polycystic ovary syndrome. Fertility and Sterility, 63(3), 478-486.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A., & Garret, D. K. (1994). How reliable are biochemical tests in the diagnosis of PCOS? Australian Journal of Medical Science, 15, 1-4.
- Jahanfar S., Garret D. K., Eden J. A. (1994). A comparison between monoclonal and polyclonal assays of luteinizing hormone in PCOS, Australian Journal of Medical Science, 15, 14-17.
- Jahanfar S., Eden J. A. (1993). Idiopathic hirsutism or polycystic ovary syndrome? The Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 33(4), 414-416.