Students seeking this major must successfully complete the Sport Skill Competency Assessment Program. This assessment program is competency based and required before enrolling in PES 215.
- To gain approval to student teach, each student must:
- Have an overall GPA of 2.7
- Have received a grade of C+ of better in PES 315, 386, and 415
- Have current CPR and First Aid Certification
- At least 15 hours of this major must be completed at CMU.
- Up to 3 hours may be taken as credit/no credit.
- A minimum 2.7 GPA (B-) must be earned in all teaching majors.
Required Courses I (44 hours)
- DAN 334 (3) Teaching of Folk, Square, and Social Dance
- HSC 211* (3) Human Anatomy and Physiology
- PES 115 (2) Fundamental Motor Skills
- PES 186 (2) Physical Fitness for Life
- PES/HSC 212 (3) Applied Physiology and Kinesiology
- PES 215 (3) K-12 Physical Education Programming
- PES 244 (2) Methods of Teaching Tumbling
- PES/HSC 308 (3) Work Physiology
- PES 315 (3) Methods of Teaching Physical Education
- PES 338 (2) Teaching Aerobics
- PES 386 (3) Special Physical Education
- PES 395 (1) Mid-Tier Field Experience
- PES 401 (3) Fundamentals of Motor Learning
- PES 405 (2) Physical Education Peer-Tutor Teaching
- PES 406 (2) Evaluation in Physical Education and Sport
- PES 415 (3) Planning, Teaching, and Assessing: Practical Applications
- PES 485 (3) Theoretical Foundations of Strength and Conditioning
- PES 495 (1) Senior Seminar in Physical Education
*HSC 211 may also be used to satisfy a University Program requirement
Required Courses II (2-3 hours)
Select one of the following:
- PES 235 (2) Teaching of Lifelong Activities
- PES 300 (3) Wilderness Experience for Leadership Development
- RPL 218 (3) Teaching of Outdoor Skills
Electives (6-7 hours)
To be selected in consultation with an advisor.
Total: 53 semester hours