​​This page contains a list of what needs to be done before and after graduation from CMU's PA Program in order to practice in the State of Michigan.

  • Apply for graduation
  • Apply to take the PANCE
  • Apply for temporary and permanent licenses from the State of Michigan
  • Request an official transcript to be sent directly to the State of Michigan
  • Apply for NPI number
  • Apply for DEA number
  • Verification of Student Malpractice Insurance

See below for more information:

Apply for graduation

Apply for graduation through CMU's College of Graduate Studies. You must send a completed Graduation Application for Graduate Studies form with a non-refundable $50 graduation fee to the College of Graduate Studies.

Apply to take the PANCE

The earliest you can take the PANCE is seven days after expected graduation date. Visit the National Commission on Certification of Physicians (NCCPA) web site for more information.

Apply for temporary and permanent licenses from the State of Michigan

A temporary license will be issued without completion of the PANCE once an official letter from CMU's PA Program states you have completed your studies and are in good standing (this is done the first Monday after expected graduation date). Visit Michigan.gov for the application.

Request official transcripts and send to the State of Michigan

Request official transcripts from the Office of the Registrar at CMU stating you have Degree Awarded, otherwise it will not be sufficient to obtain your permanent license.

Any current student or alumni requesting an official transcript of his/her record from CMU is required to provide a written or faxed, hand signed request to:

Office of the Registrar

Attention: Transcripts

Central Michigan University

212 Warriner Hall

Mt. Pleasant, MI 48859

Telephone: (989) 774-3261

Fax: (989) 774-3783

You may use the Official Transcript Request form for your request. Type in the required information on-line, print and sign the form and either mail, fax, or take it to the Registrar's Office. Transcript Request forms will NOT be accepted by email.

Letters and faxed requests should include name, address, daytime phone number, CMU ID or the last four digits of SSN, dates of attendance, birth date, and date of graduation. If you completed undergraduate work at CMU, both transcripts will be sent. No transcripts will be released without written authorization from the student.

Transcripts are typically processed within one to three business days. There is not charge for a transcript, unless a student orders more than five per week. Priority service is available by specifically requesting the priority service and paying $10.00 priority charge. Priority request will be prepared in time for the next outgoing mail. Priority transcripts requested in person will be prepared immediately.

Students may request official transcripts be sent directly to them, but most businesses and educational institutions will accept as official transcripts only those sent directly to them from the issuing institution. Official transcripts sent directly to the students will be stamped "issued to student."

Transcripts of students with financial obligation to the university are not released until the obligation is paid.

Apply for NPI number

The Administrative Simplification provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPPA) mandated the adoption of a standard unique identifier for health care providers. The National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES) collects identifying information on health care providers and assigns each a unique National Provider Identifier (NPI).

You can NOT apply for a NPI number until you have a license. Once you have a temporary license, contact the billing representative in the office or hospital where you will be working. They have specific information that you will need to apply for your NPI and are the most knowledgeable. Once you have your license, you will be able to apply for an NPI on your own. CMU recommends having discussions with your billing representative. DO NOT apply for a DEA number at this time.

Apply for DEA number

You will need a Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) number to prescribe controlled substances in the State of Michigan. You can apply online but will need to send a copy of your Michigan license and Written Delegation to Prescribe Controlled Substances from your supervising physician. 

You can NOT apply for a DEA number until you have a license. You will need a license and a letter of delegation from your physician--ask your prospective employer to guide you.

Verification of Student Malpractice Insurance

Some employers will require verification of your Malpractice Insurance coverage during your enrollment as a PA student at CMU.  The PA Program does not retain these records.  For insurance verification, please contact: Sarah Young, Executive Secretary with
CMU Risk Management Department, 103 Smith Hall.
​Phone: 989-774-3741
Email: young2sa@cmich.edu
Fax: 989-774-1303

You must request the verification in writing or have your prospective employer submit a release of information containing your signature.